The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
The Waste Water Treatment Supervisor is responsible for day to day operations of the waste water treatment plant. This position is responsible for keeping plant management informed of any environmental concerns and challenges as well as ensuring overall compliance in this area. This position is accountable for the supervision of plant waste water pretreatment operators, equipment, and processes (e.g., rotary drum screens, dissolved air flotation unit, polymer feed systems, chemical delivery systems).
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Understand all facets of the waste water treatment operations and equipment. Must be capable of assisting and running the plant in emergency situations and assisting in the day-to-day operations of the wastewater treatment department
- Supervise, plan, schedule, assign and review the work of the pretreatment staff
- Accountable for interviewing, training and managing the successful performance of the waste water operations staff
- Conduct environmental investigations, make recommendations and implement environmental regulatory compliance actions
- Monitor and investigate the environmental impact of various plant activities on the WWT plant
- Responsible for meeting compliance with WWT Pre-treatment permit. This includes managing, sampling, submitting compliance reports, etc.)
- Communicate in a professional manner with regulatory and other outside agencies concerning compliance and operations of the water and wastewater facilities
- Make decisions based on operational control data generated by the wastewater to ensure pretreatment systems are functioning a peak performance
- Manage chemical inventory process. Ensure chemicals are ordered, stored properly, disposed of properly and available for the waste water treatment systems and plant sanitation
- Manage grease recovery process
- Ensure availability of parts to maintain compliance and assist the maintenance department with equipment repairs
- Review quotes on operational and maintenance items to ensure cost effectiveness
- Coordinate and work with plant maintenance to ensure all pretreatment systems are functioning properly and equipment PM’s are performed as scheduled and planned
- Maintain information in SAP, issue work orders and schedule preventative maintenance on equipment as needed
- Assist Plant Engineer and Environmental Coordinator on special projects to include development and maintenance of SOP’s for pretreatment operations
- Participate on plant EMS ISO 14001 Team
- Responsible for housekeeping inside and outside of the WWT plant and surrounding area, including the bone yard
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Environmental Science, Chemistry or other science related field and 2+ years' relevant experience in waste water treatment plant operations; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferred.
- Experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, preferred.
- Predictive/preventive maintenance. Mechanical and electrical knowledge preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- SAP experience a plus
- Knowledge of supervising in a union environment a plus
- Must be able to travel occasionally with possible extended overnight stays.
- Must be available for night and weekend on-call status.
- Provides leadership and guidance to Wastewater Operators.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com