Are you an influential leader with the ability to achieve business results through others? Do you have a broad environmental background? As the Director of Environmental Operations, you will lead and manage the Port's environmental program strategic goals related to Air Quality, Climate Change and Energy, Natural Resources, Water Resources, Land Quality, Environmental Planning, and our Environmental Management System. If you thrive in an environment of collaboration and share our passion for environmental stewardship then this might be the opportunity you've been waiting for.
Summary of Essential Responsibilities
- Direct and oversee the operations of department work groups and programs to ensure Port-wide environmental compliance and stewardship:
- Ensure integration of environmental considerations into the Port's plans, operations and decision-making.
- Lead and direct departmental planning activities, establish departmental policy and operating procedures, budget planning and management, and resource planning.
- Work in conjunction with Environmental Policy Manager to implement the Port-wide environmental strategy, policies and standards.
- Manage staff to achieve high performance as a team and to provide high levels of customer service.
- Ensure achievement of strategic, business line and department plans and goals.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships and other forms of collaboration with key external stakeholders that can affect the Port's ability to perform its missions and meet our strategic environmental goals including: tenants, customers, business partners, industry associations, community leaders, and government agencies.
- Bachelor's degree in environmental management, environmental sciences, or a related field is preferred; or, the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience is required.
- Minimum ten years' experience in related technical or professional role, which must also include supervising technical staff, is required.
- Experience achieving environmental compliance, natural resource stewardship and/or environmental sustainability is required.
- Knowledge of project and program management principles, including overall strategic planning approaches, methods and integration with business and strategic plans is required.
- Working knowledge of the following is preferred:
- Federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations.
- Implementation of environmental management systems to complex organizations.
- Environmental science and policy.
- General knowledge of aviation, marine and/or industrial development business lines.
- Management theory, including budgeting and financial systems.
- Valid driver's license is preferred.
- The ability to obtain security clearance for unescorted access to the airports and marine terminals is required.
Skills and Abilities
- Leadership, including the ability to effect organizational improvements and provide leadership to the organization on complex and challenging issues.
- Manage, coach and mentor environmental, technical and administrative professionals with varying levels of expertise.
- Adapt and self-direct; multi-task in a high energy, high stress environment.
- Collaborate across all areas and levels of the organization.
- Shows the utmost respect for others and is a proven team player.
- Ability to:
- Communicate complex, scientific, technical and legal information into understandable and actionable information that supports decisions.
- Create and lead teams to effective outcomes.
- Build strong relationships with stakeholders.
- Function effectively in emergency situations as a member of the Incident Command System within the Port.
- Prioritize workload to meet changing priorities and deadlines.
- Make decisions in the absence of specific direction and imperfect data.
- Meet on-call work requirements including the ability to travel locally, nationally and occasionally internationally.
- Persuade and influence.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Work with a diverse employee group.
- Achieve business results through others and maintain appropriate management controls.
- Represent and advocate for the Port's interest both internally and externally.
- Demonstrate commitment to valuing differences among individuals and passion for being inclusive.
Closing date and time: 3/23/2018 at 5:00 PM Pacific Time
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com