The North America (NA) Business Communications Manager (BCM) for Sustainability has primary responsibility for the strategic development and tactical implementation of regional communications activities that support the global sustainability communications platform of Dow Packaging and Specialty Plastics (P&SP). The BCM will be responsible for internal/external communications that increase awareness on the sustainability advantages of Dow’s product offerings as well as helping improve the perception of plastics.
The BCM will help demonstrate that Dow P&SP is leading with a solution mindset through the following key initiatives:
- The Hefty® EnergyBag™ - Dow P&SP has teamed with municipal and industry/value chain partners to implement this program on a large scale across the United States. The program is designed to be a collaborative effort that focuses on the collection of previously non-recycled plastics to convert into an energy resource or another purpose.
- Clean Energy Program - With the production of wind-powered polyethylene resin, Dow P&SP is able to reduce its scope 2 emissions and could potentially enable its end users to optimize reduction credits.
- Value of Packaging – Reducing Food Waste – Currently, over one-third of the world’s food is wasted from farm to table. High performance plastic packaging can help prevent food waste in many ways while using fewer resources to manufacture than other packaging formats.
Additionally, this position will have communications and branding oversight (approximately 20%) for Pack Studios in North America, the business’ signature network of application development centers that enables the acceleration of packaging innovation, as well as communications support for PacXpert™ Packaging Technology, the business’s innovative solution that enables transition from traditional rigid containers to flexible packaging. The selected candidate will report directly to the P&SP NA Business Communications Team Leader and become an integral member of an accomplished and dedicated staff of communicators based in Houston,
Texas. ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILTIES
- Lead the development, implementation and execution of communication plans that advance the business’ strategic priorities for Sustainability, Pack Studios and PacXpert™ in North America
- Support the business’ sustainability platform in the region with communications outreach that touch multiple stakeholders: direct customers, brand owners, retailers, consumers
- Drive messaging on the value of a circular economy for plastics
- Help coordinate special projects with industry partners that demonstrate a commitment to address the issue of plastics waste: marine debris, recyclability of non-recyclable plastics
- Work closely with business leadership to prioritize and manage the development, implementation and execution of marketing communication strategies to include:
- Branding and launch strategies
- Trade press media relations
- The development of videos, E-campaigns, digital tools to engage with customers
- Social media strategy/website
- Establish key metrics to measure effectiveness of communication program and activities, and ensure budgets are developed with sound fiscal rationale.
- Serve on planning teams for signature tradeshow events (NPE, Pack Expo, Kshow) with active participation
- Oversee agency mix, drive outside suppliers to deliver excellence, conduct annual review meetings with key suppliers
ESSENTIAL JOB SKILLS
- Strong writing skills, creative, and innovative with an ability to interact with a variety of individuals, job levels, and cultures in a professional business environment.
- Subject matter expertise on sustainability in plastics industry
- Expertise in digital marketing channels (i.e. website, social media, SEO, etc..) to increase awareness and influence the purchase funnel for P&SP products
- Experience with financial reporting and corporate budgeting processes
- Strong project management skills with demonstrated team leadership capabilities
- 7-10 years experience in corporate communications and/or marketing communications
- Proven ability to lead and direct marketing communications and strategic communications activities including:
- Management of communication agencies
- Tradeshows/Customer Events
- E-marketing/Social Media
- Product Advertising
- Public Relations/Media Relations
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects
- Flexibility to travel (20%)
- A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Experience in a corporate sustainability role
- Masters Degree or higher in corporate communications or similar discipline
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com