***Remote applicants (not based in the SF Bay Area) are considered and encouraged to apply***
The (Contract) Verification Forester is a lead auditor who is responsible for conducting verifications under various voluntary carbon offset standards and the California Cap and Trade Program in the areas of forestry and land use. Areas of responsibility include auditing document review, data and model review, on-site forest inventory activities, interviews with stakeholders, and report-writing for forest carbon projects worldwide.
- Bachelors degree in Forestry or related natural resources field
- 4 years professional experience in a related field
- Excellent quantitative skills with an emphasis on biometrics, statistics, growth and yield modeling
- Experience with the application of standard forest inventory techniques in the field
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Initiative and ability to work independently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally to conduct audits
Additional Preferred Skills
- ARB-accredited Lead Verifier for the Compliance Offset Protocol—US Forest Projects
- California Registered Professional Forester or Certified Forester
- Working knowledge of ArcGIS
- Familiarity with remote sensing applications
- International forestry experience
- Foreign Language Skills (Spanish and Portuguese are especially helpful)
- International Travel experience
- California Air Resources Board Cap and Trade Program
- Climate Action Reserve
- Verified Carbon Standard
- Climate, Community and Biodiversity Alliance
- American Carbon Registry
- Other Forestry and Land Use GHG Offset Programs
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assess management practices and project documentation of forest carbon projects
- Perform document review and quantitative analyses, including review of inventory calculations, forest growth and yield models, GIS and/or remote sensing information.
- Conduct site visit activities, including interviews with project personnel, site reconnaissance activities and evaluating forest inventory practices
- Issue verification findings and write audit reports
- Oversee work of contract auditors/consultants
- Coordinate the audit process with clients
- Ensure that clients provide data and information necessary for audit
- Respond to client questions and concerns
- Ensure high level of client service and satisfaction<
- Maintain thorough and current working knowledge of program standards and protocols
- Recommend and implement program changes as needed to maintain SCS’s compliance with ISO quality standards
- Participate in the internal and external audit process as needed
- Participate in the recruitment and training of contract auditors/consultants
About SCS Global Services
SCS Global Services is a global leader in third-party environmental, sustainability and food quality certification, auditing, testing and standards development. SCS is growing and is looking for a positive, energetic and well organized candidate who is excited to join our team and will help us promote environmental sustainability.
SCS was one of the first companies to become a chartered benefit corporation in the state of California, recognized for the incorporation of environmental, social and employee benefits into our mission. Part of our commitment to our employees is to ensure they are happy and healthy at work. We believe this means providing excellent health care and paid sick time benefits for our employees.
SCS’ vision is to promote sustainable decision-making and policies in every sector of the economy around the world, in order to safeguard our environment, support workers and communities, and raise the standard of living for all. We believe that we can change the world through our programs. If you would like to join an impactful organization which cares about its employees apply here.
SCS Global Services is an EEO employer and participates in E-Verify.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com