Manager, Climate Action 100+
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Climate Action 100+ is a new five-year initiative led by investors to engage with the world’s largest corporate greenhouse gas emitters to improve governance on climate change, curb emissions and strengthen climate-related financial disclosures. To date, 256 investors with more than USD $30 trillion in assets under management have signed on to the initiative. The initiative is designed to implement the investor commitment first set out in the Global Investor Statement on Climate Change in the months leading up to the adoption of the historic Paris Agreement in 2015 limiting global warming to well below 2 degrees Celsius.
Description & Responsibilities
The Manager, Climate Action 100+ Initiative will collaboratively organize and coordinate investor engagements with North America based companies on the focus list in alignment with the goals of the initiative. This position will collaborate, as required, with other relevant Ceres’ initiatives and staff responsible for related campaigns and companies. The Manager, Climate Action 100+ will staff the Ceres North America Engagement Working Group, one of five working groups charged with driving company-by-company engagements with a subset of focus companies. This is a full-time salaried position, based in the Boston office, and reporting to Director of this initiative.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as cross-organization project manager to organize and manage North American investor engagements as part of the global Climate Action 100+ Initiative, including working closely with U.S, Canadian and international investors that are designated as lead and supporting investors for engagements with North American focus companies.
- Drive effective engagement campaigns with each focus company, including for example, building/coordinating aligned groups of investors, developing company specific research-based strategies, and ensuring investor accountability through bi-annual reporting.
- Coordinate with the Director, Climate Action 100+ Investor Engagement to ensure ongoing alignment with global implementation guidelines, timelines and processes.
- Coordinate meetings of and communications with the Climate Action 100+ North America Engagement Working Group and its members.
- Compile company-specific data, information and materials from data providers and relevant NGOs supporting the Climate Action 100+ initiative to support individual company engagements, and conduct/oversee company-specific research and develop written materials as necessary to support investor engagement.
- Work closely with the Directors and staff of other related Ceres initiatives that engage companies on climate-related issues, to ensure alignment and consistency, including the Investor Team, the Carbon Asset Risk initiative; the Oil & Gas, Electric Power and Transportation teams, the Shareholder Initiative on Climate and Sustainability (SICS), and the Corporate Team relationship managers for relevant Ceres Companies.
- Work closely with Ceres’ membership programs – investors and companies – to assure their engagement and involvement.
- Oversee the tracking of Climate Action 100+ activities, deliverables, progress and outcomes in North America, and implement appropriate systems for documenting activities.
- Coordinate with Ceres Communications & Marketing team, and Development team regarding the accomplishments of the Climate Action 100+ Initiative.
- Bachelor degree, required. Graduate degree in law or business preferred.
- 5 years of work experience in investment, finance, shareholder engagement or corporate management, ideally with a focus on climate or environmental matters and a track record of project management and/or campaign leadership.
- Experience designing and managing campaigns or other significant and complex projects characterized by changing dynamics and myriad relationships.
- Experience managing and strengthening relationships and coordinating with multiple partners and coalitions, and/or consultants.
- Experience with developing or implementing systems to track activity, progress and outcomes.
- Ability to evaluate workload and prioritize projects in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Experience working on climate, environment, energy, and/or transportation, oil and gas, electric power or related sustainability issues.
- Strong organizational, project management, writing, verbal communication and interpersonal and skills.
- Able to direct and manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Able to work well independently and as a team member.
- Comfortable working with different personalities and people.
- Desire to work in a mission-driven and nonprofit environment.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.