Under general supervision, manages projects/assignments with corporate and/or business unit impact. Provides analysis and studies.
- Conduct surveys evaluating electrocution and collision risks and the effectiveness of avian protection measures on power lines. This will require walking and hiking on variable terrain daily to access poles.
- Walk power lines and record data on avian use, mortalities, and protection measures to prevent electrocutions and collisions as part of company Avian Protection Plans.
- Identify bird mortalities (species, cause of death), document live raptors using structures and identify bird nests on structures.
- Collect data using ArcPad on a hand held device.. Conduct quality check of all GIS data collected.
- Complete surveys in a safe, timely, and accurate manner.
- Work safely in remote locations with limited oversight and under variable field conditions (weather, insects, and/or limited vehicle access).Adhere to company safety requirements and ensure safe working practices.
- Complete required PacifiCorp employee training and comply with all company policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Understand Avian Protection Plan policy and procedures.
- Enter all protected bird mortalities in company tracking system. Create maps, as needed, for mortality reports.
- Ensure that all field equipment is accounted for and maintained in good working condition. -
- Communicate with crew Lead regarding field survey status, bird mortalities or problems with surveys.
- Bachelor’s degree in Wildlife Biology, Environmental Science or related field of study; or the equivalent combination of education and professional experience.
- Two years professional experience in wildlife, environmental science or related experience.
- Bird identification skills.
- Ability to travel for extended period and work in remote locations, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho
- Availability for the duration of the position (anticipated early April through early November)
- Knowledge of GIS, GPS, database management, and MS Office.
(This position is temporary - the timeframe will be April 2018 - November 2018)
Primary Location: Various locations in RMP region (Utah, Idaho, Wyoming)
Schedule: Part-Time - Temporary
Personnel Subarea: Non-Exempt