Senior Manager, Editing and Writing
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization working with the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Manager, Editing and Writing position on the Communications and Marketing team will support the CEO/President and the Communications team in research, editing and writing, including speechwriting, and fact-checking needs. This position will implement and enforce Associated Press writing style guidelines and the organization’s new brand writing and messaging guidelines throughout all written and online content. The Senior Manager, Editing and Writing will be highly-skilled and organized and looking to join a fast-paced Communications team in its Boston headquarters.
This position reports to the Senior Department Director of Communications and Marketing. This position may supervise a staff position on the team.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Proofread, edit and write reports, press releases and statements, guest columns and op-eds/blogs, speeches and other online content as needed.
• Implement and enforce AP writing style guidelines and grammar rules, and brand writing and messaging guidelines in all content.
• Edit and produce high-quality written materials that are clear, concise, compelling, consistent, conversational and correct, and strike the right tone and balance.
• Assist in updating and maintaining an editorial/reports calendar and assist in the vetting process for reports and other editorial projects.
• Communicate regularly with communications and marketing team supervisor and issue experts as needed to ensure editing and writing deadlines are met.
• Develop an understanding of sustainability issues and the sectors of the economy the organization is helping to transform.
• Support media partnerships and relationships at targeted outlets to pitch and place guest columns/op-eds.
• Draft speeches and talking points for Ceres CEO/President and other Ceres experts, as well as other media spokespeople as needed.
• Assist in writing training and coaching as needed with issue experts.
• Supervise staff member and possible interns, which includes project management, training, performance evaluation, and professional development
- At least seven years of work experience in communications/marketing or journalism.
• Bachelor’s degree required in communications, marketing, journalism or related area of study. Graduate degree preferred.
• Very strong communications, research, editing and writing skills.
• Experience writing for an advocacy, investor, corporate or news audience.
• Knowledge of AP writing style guidelines and other best practices for editing and writing.
• Demonstrated strong project management skills of multiple, complex projects.
• Prior experience managing and training staff or interns.
• Planning expertise and delivering projects on deadline and within time and resource budgets. Attention to detail is required.
• Knowledge of sustainability issues, including an understanding of the investment and corporate community.
• Demonstrated passion and interest in sustainability issues, including climate change and policy issues.
• An interest in the changing digital media landscape and in growing an engaged, digital and mobile audience.
• Ability to bring a positive outlook and energetic commitment to working at Ceres on a daily basis.
• Willingness to travel as needed.
• Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.