The NYC Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) protects public health and the environment by supplying clean drinking water, collecting and treating wastewater, and reducing air, noise, and hazardous materials pollution. DEP is the largest combined municipal water and wastewater utility in the country, with nearly 6,000 employees. We deliver 1.1 billion gallons of high quality drinking water per day to 8.5 million New York City residents and more than 1 million people in Upstate New York, and we collect and treat an average of 1.3 billion gallons of wastewater per day.
The Bureau of Public Affairs and Communication conducts environmental outreach campaigns through its Environmental Compliance Outreach Unit. The Compliance Associate will participate in programs that engage residents, businesses, community boards and the public at large in various environmental projects that the agency is charged with. The Compliance Associate will assist in public communications targeted to regulatory programs mandated by federal and state law, including the Clean Water Act.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Promote the mission of the Department of Environmental Protection to residents, community groups and not-for-profit organizations by participating in outreach campaigns to targeted. communities including businesses.
* Assist in targeted environmental compliance campaigns in New York City Housing Authority developments, in holding public meetings and workshops including trade shows.
* Engage in one-on-one communications with the public and community partners on departmental initiatives.
* Maintain and update databases of community partners and programs and undertake administrative tasks associated with outreach presentations, including scanning, data-entry, and inventory and Microsoft Office-based projects.
* Perform administrative tasks at the direction of the Director and Deputy Director and other executive staff regarding matters relevant to community outreach.
* Distribute information accurately and in keeping with agency policy.
* Maintains a business like composure and professional demeanor.
**The positon requires occasional weekend and evening work**
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to duties described above; or
2. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" above.
*A baccalaureate degree in public administration or political science from an accredited college and two years of relevant experience in community work or activities associated with outreach programs or an associates degree and 4 years of related experience preferred.
* General computer skills in office and the field.
* Knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including: Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
* An ability to grasp agency environmental issues and demonstrated communication skills to relate them to the general public.
* Communication skills
* Interpersonal Skills
* Analytical Ability
* Time Management
DEP is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to the diversity of our organization and workforce. Your voluntary response to the NYCAPS on-line application section for referral information will assist us tremendously in our ability to track the success of our outreach recruitment efforts. Please be sure to indicate your source of referral to this job.
“NOTE: This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program and also meet the education and experience requirements as listed in the job posting notice. Please indicate on your resume or cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a Program. This position is also open to non 55-a Program candidates who meet the education and experience requirements as listed in the job posting notice.”
For more information about NYCDEP, visit us at: www.nyc.gov/dep
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com