Norfolk State University (NSU), invites applicants for the position of Energy and Sustainability Manager within the Department of Facilities Management.
Under the general direction of the Director of Building Maintenance and Sustainability, the Energy and Sustainability Manager will provide administrative and program support to the department and will have strategic program leadership role in support of sustainability initiatives that reflect the University’s priorities and the agenda set by the Sustainability Task Force. This position will heavily interface with and provide information to both internal and external constituents and be a change agent to establish sustainability values in student, faculty, staff and overall campus culture.
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Assists in the coordination, management and oversight of HVACrelated contractor work, inspect and help report deficiencies as needed.
2. Oversees HVAC related water treatment activities to include review of scheduling and coordinating HVAC water treatment, contractor activities and associated backup documentation with HVAC supervision.
3. Conducts meetings with HVAC staff to review equipment work issues and HVAC related projects.
4. Generates work orders/job requests and recommends PM priorities.
5. Keeps university personnel and supervisor informed of energy saving opportunities and initiatives.
6. Orders or recommends appropriate materials to make equipment and emergency repairs.
7. Coordinates work with other internal departments as needed.
8. Be available to respond to emergency HVAC issues during, before and after normal business hours.
9. Ensures building HVAC systems and spaces are checked daily for proper HVAC Set Points.
10. Ensures building HVAC systems and spaces are checked daily for proper HVAC Set Points.
11. Utilizes/monitors Building Automated Controls System (ALC) software to ensure building temperatures are comfortable to support daily and after-hours university programs.
12. Recommends and coordinates HVAC training programs to ensure staff is educated on repairing/servicing of current and new generation HVAC equipment used at the university.
13. Participates in the hiring and training of personnel.
14. Provides training for staff to provide excellent customer service.
15. Enforces safety regulations and ensures proper codes of standards are adhered to.
16. Ensures safety and environmental regulations and certifications are adhered to.
17. Keeps current with health, safety and HVAC regulations.
18. Uses a computer to maintain reports and respond to emails.
19. Participates in emergency “on-call” rotation.
Visit www.nsu.edu for additional information.
1. Working knowledge of various HVAC systems and equipment.
2. Working knowledge of engineering, sustainability and energy management theory, practices and principles.
3. Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and direct multiple work assignments.
4. Demonstrated ability to work from plans, blueprints and schematics.
5. Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service and interact positively with all co-workers, faculty and staff.
6. Demonstrated ability to prioritize and make sound decisions with regard to maintaining and repairing campus HVAC systems.
7. Demonstrated ability to utilize independent judgement to perform technical and analytical studies of energy usage and electrical demand.
8. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing to a diverse array of internal and external customers, to include faculty and staff.
9. Considerable experience managing and supervising the work of others.
10. Considerable experience working in energy management or related field.
11. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent combination of education and training that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and ability.
1. Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field.
2. Previous experience working in college or university setting.
Job Close Date 02/12/2018
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com
Norfolk State University is a public four-year, coed, liberal arts, historically black university located in Norfolk, Virginia.