This position provides legislative and administrative strategy development and implementation on issue priorities for Earthjustice including: the National Forest System; the National Park System; and Bureau of Land Management lands. This position is based in Washington, DC.
- Develop and implement legislative and administrative advocacy strategies relating to assigned issues.
- Directly lobby Congress and the Administration.
- Track and analyze legislation and policy initiatives relating to assigned issues.
- Develop lobby and educational materials, including but not limited to fact sheets, letters, action alerts, blogs, and advocacy toolkits.
- Collaborate with the Communications Department or media consultants to develop media strategies and serve as an Earthjustice spokesperson on assigned issues.
- Cultivate allies, thoughtful partnerships, and coalitions in support of assigned issues.
- Develop creative strategies in key geographic regions and with key constituencies to help further advocacy efforts on assigned issues.
- Coordinate congressional briefings, seminars, and informational meetings with partners.
- Serve as a liaison with Earthjustice litigation staff working on assigned issues.
- Brief Earthjustice development staff, donors, and trustees on assigned issues as requested.
- Assist with other issues as needed within the Policy and Legislation Department.
- Supervise projects and other efforts performed on assigned issues by Earthjustice assistants, interns, contractors, or others.
- 2-8 years of experience with the legislative process, preferably at the federal level.
- JD a plus but not required.
- Substantial knowledge and experience with the legislative process, preferably at the federal level.
- Familiarity and experience with administrative rulemaking process.
- Proven ability to develop and implement successful legislative and administrative advocacy strategies.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, projects, and deadlines.
- Proven ability to work independently and proactively.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills.
- Detail oriented and strong organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical skills in reviewing complex policy issues and legislative bills.
- Proven ability to work in coalitions and with allies.
- Experience in working with both traditional and social media.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com