HDR is seeking an Environmental Planning and Regulatory Section Leader to join our team and lead our environmental planning and regulatory compliance practice in the New York/ New Jersey area. HDR is a leader in environmental planning, environmental assessments/ impact analysis and associated permitting and compliance monitoring for major transportation and other infrastructure projects that require conformance with New York State and City Environmental Quality Reviews (SEQR/CEQR) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)/Council of Environmental Quality (CEQ) Reviews.
The primary duties of the Environmental Planning and Regulatory Section Leader include responsibility for operation and development of the section including strategic planning, client management, financial controls, quality, staff advancement, and marketing support. The successful candidate will also function as a project or production manager on specific projects. Will be administratively responsible for the section staff and technical service functions and will lead and coordinate services with other sections. Will be involved in marketing planning, proposals and interviews. Be directly involved with clients in marketing, project production and related issues. See that all work is planned, organized, controlled and evaluated through a pro-active project management system. Implement, monitor and support company policy. Select, train, develop and manage technical personnel. Experience in the management and development of multi-discipline teams. Work cooperatively with National, Regional and Local Managers and marketing in local and national marketing and production efforts.
The Environmental Planning and Regulatory Section Leader will be closely involved in working with clients and team members to prepare and facilitate clear, well written, technically accurate documentation and participate in public and agency outreach and coordination. Will also be responsible for working with project managers and team members to ensure client responsiveness and quality of products. Keyword(s): Section Leader, Section Manager, Environmental Planning, Environmental Regulatory Compliance, job #142718, *LI-MP1
• Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering/Science/ Planning or related field. AICP and/or LEED AP a plus.
• 15+ years of experience in complex environmental planning/compliance projects preferred. Demonstrated knowledge of SEQRA/CEQR/NEPA process and experience in preparation of EIS documents is required.
• Experience managing large, complex environmental review documents for transportation infrastructure and land development projects in the New York/New Jersey area.
• Management of multidisciplinary teams including subcontractors and close oversight of budgets and schedules.
• Proficient with MS Office.
• Self-starter with excellent writing and communication skills. Strong conceptual, organizational, problem solving, critical thinking and research abilities.
• Ability to work as part of a team, with clients and independently. Ability to deal with stakeholders involved in transportation and infrastructure projects.
• Professional and engaging presentation skills that include the ability to communicate complex issues in a clear and effective manner.
• Good leadership and organizational skills. Staff management experience beneficial.
• Track record of developing clients and expanding services is highly desirable
Candidates who reside locally in the metro NY/NJ area are preferred. Hiring preference will be given to Section 3 candidates.
At HDR, we know work isn’t only about who you work for; it’s also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other’s contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com