Leidos is looking for an Environmental Compliance Specialist to serve as part of a team to conduct EMS and environmental compliance audits. Travel is required and can be more than two weeks per month and include travel to all 50 states and territories. Audits are typically conducted Monday through Friday (includes travel time). Occasional travel may be required from Sunday to Friday. Travel is reimbursable. Individual must be professional and courteous in a team environment and be able to work well under limited supervision. Individual must be able to follow specific, detailed procedures and be able to review work for technical accuracy and adequacy. Individual must have a solid understanding of Federal and State environmental compliance regulations. In addition to auditing, the individual could also assist in writing various plans including SPCC Plans or SWPPPs; assisting in preparing and potentially giving environmental training; assisting in data gathering for EPCRA-TRI and other environmental reporting; assisting with air quality modeling and permit calculations; and other EMS and environmental compliance tasks, as they arise.
Location: Near any major U.S. airport as significant travel is required
Other responsibilities include:
1. Conducting multimedia environmental compliance audits of government and commercial facilities.
2. Using regulatory knowledge of environmental laws to ensure correct deficiencies are written.
3. Identifying both positive and negative deficiencies.
4. Composing audit findings per client-driven media (database or other tool).
5. Entering audit findings in Microsoft computer programs and database software.
6. Using teaching and directional tools to help educate and train personnel receiving the conformance/compliance audit.
7. Perform quality assurance reviews and editing of written findings.
8. Clearly explain and brief findings to customers in a formal setting.
9. Perform applicability determinations and associated environmental reports, including preparing supporting documentation, including calculation spreadsheets
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, environmental science, geology or related
• 2+ years’ experience in the field conducting multimedia environmental compliance audits. A combination of auditing and conducting compliance-related work, such as writing SPCC Plans, SWPPPs, environmental permits, etc. will be considered.
• Must have experience conducting at least 10 multimedia environmental compliance audits over the past 2 years (minimum).
• Availability to travel more than 2 weeks per month.
• Must be a proactive, willing to learn, and willing to travel more than 2 weeks a month.
• Must work well in a team environment.
• Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Must be able to exercise considerable independent judgment in conducting multimedia environmental compliance audits.
• Must be computer literate with a capability to work in a team environment.
• California-specific experience and a background in air regulatory compliance is also a plus.
• ISO 14001 Lead Auditor training is a bonus.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com