North State Resources, Inc. (NSR) is seeking an experienced consulting biologist to join our growing Sacramento office, located in a vibrant midtown setting. This position can be filled at the Biologist III or Biologist IV level and will have opportunity for continued advancement. We are looking for motivated, career-oriented people to complement our established practice in the Sacramento area, Sierra Nevada, and central California.
- Conduct desktop-level assessments of special-status species, wetlands, and other biological resources.
- Conduct field investigations for classification and mapping of vegetation communities, special-status species assessments, botanical inventories, delineation of waters of the United States, protocol-level and other species surveys, and other natural resource assessments.
- Use standard tools and methods to conduct biological resources assessments and impact analyses.
- Prepare technical reports (e.g., Biological Resources Assessments, section 7 Biological Assessments, Natural Environment Studies) to support environmental compliance and regulatory permitting (e.g., CEQA, Caltrans Local Assistance reviews, ESA, CWA).
- Write biological resources sections of CEQA and NEPA documents, including settings, impact analysis, and mitigation measures.
- Prepare application packages for regulatory permits (e.g., CWA, Fish and Game Code) and coordinate with clients and regulatory agency personnel to develop workable solutions to resolve project challenges.
- Take initiative, resolve issues, and identify improved procedures to assure client needs are met effectively.
- Serve as a task leader/project manager on biological resources assignments, working closely with NSR project managers, program managers, and principals across the company.
- Bachelorâ€™s or higher degree in botany, wildlife, environmental sciences, or a related field.
- A minimum of five (5) years of directly applicable experience preparing biological reports, conducting field studies and project impact analyses for biological resources, and preparing permit applications.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of relevant statutes and regulations (e.g., CEQA, NEPA, ESA, CWA).
- Demonstrated familiarity with key biological resources issues in the Central Valley and Sierra Nevada.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct impact analyses supporting permit applications, consultations, or environmental compliance.
- Proven track record working with regulatory permitting agencies.
- Excellent written, logic, organization, presentation, and analytical skills.
Additional Beneficial Qualifications
- Experience working on federal, state, local, and private projects throughout northern California.
- Related experience with energy generation and transmission projects, water resources projects, utility projects, transportation projects, and other infrastructure projects.
- Existing relationships with natural resource and regulatory agency staffs, and other natural resource professionals in the Sacramento area.
- Active participation in environmental professional organizations.
- Ability to use GIS and other analytical tools.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com