The Ohio Environmental Council seeks a full-time Drinking Water Director to advance greater protections for Ohioans’ drinking water. The Director will serve as the organization’s expert on laws, regulations, needs, and gaps to providing safe, clean, and affordable drinking water to all Ohioans. The Director will build networks, advocate for passage and implementation of strong policies through partnerships, campaign coordination, media work, and lobbying.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic and critical thinker who can grasp onto broad, ambitious goals and motivate a team on the ground to deliver on them. They will be creative and appropriately opportunistic about seizing new opportunities for growth that align with a larger strategic plan and they will be a persistent, reliable leader.
This position is an opportunity to secure cleaner, safer, and affordable drinking water for Ohioans within a fast-paced, growing organization; lead a campaign team; and expand the Ohio Environmental Council’s impact in the Buckeye State.
Reporting to the Vice President of Policy, Natural Resources, the Director will:
- Demonstrate leadership in Ohio’s environmental movement for clean, safe, and affordable drinking water by developing cutting-edge, well-researched, and pragmatic policy solutions.
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships and networks with diverse stakeholders, decision-makers, and media to strategically execute and coordinate a range of effective tactics to advance OEC’s drinking water policies.
- Motivate consensus on the OEC’s drinking water policies through writing, speaking, facilitating discussion, and forging coalitions.
- Work across the OEC to develop, execute, coordinate smart strategies to advance the policies outlined in the OEC’s strategic plan.
- Efficiently manage many different projects at once while delivering quality results, and be adept at prioritization and project planning.
- Raise the profile of the organization, secure funding for its work, build partnerships, and participate in organizational events.
- Fulfill organizational responsibilities including: attending board meetings as requested; carrying a portfolio of major donors and/or grantors and participating in other fundraising efforts; and manage foundation relationships and ensure grant deliverables are met.
The Director is expected to:
- Plan and meet all deadlines. Maintain a flexible work schedule to meet the demands of executive management. Demonstrate initiative and work as a team player. Approach new ideas with a sense of possibility.
- Ensure all communications are accurate, compelling, and advance our strategic plan.
- Effectively develop and work towards multiple aggressive goals by being able to manage many different projects at once while delivering quality results, prioritizing, and project planning.
- Translate broad goals into achievable steps.
- Have a flexible and positive attitude. Approach work with the spirit of “’yes,” and adapt quickly to change.
- Demonstrate commitment to continued professional growth and development.
Frequent local travel including occasional overnight or out-of-state travel will be required for meetings with partners, donors, reporters/editorial boards, and for conferences. Must be available for occasional evening and weekend work.
- Expertise in politics and or environmental advocacy. Knowledge of the Ohio political landscape is a plus.
- A track record of success, designing and delivering results on environmental programs and plans.
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills with ability to communicate with diverse individuals across the political spectrum.
- Experience with developing relationships and building strong networks moving towards the same goal.
- Thrives in a fast paced environment.
Salary depends on experience and is competitive. Excellent benefits include health, vision, dental, and life insurance, flexible and dependent care spending accounts, generous paid time off, and employer-matched retirement fund.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com