The Manice Education Center (MEC) is intentionally located in a unique outdoor setting within the heart of the Berkshire Mountains of Western Massachusetts. MEC operates several distinctly different seasonal programs that are experientially focused in high-quality environmental education, wilderness camping, and leadership training from May through October.
Staff at the Manice Education Center work closely together in a supportive atmosphere teaching small, coed groups (10-12) of New York City (NYC) youth in a variety of outdoor classrooms and camp settings. With a staff to student ratio averaging 1:6, outdoor education counselors and assistant counselors facilitate debates, science labs, cooperative games, group initiatives, and campfires for groups of approximately forty youth. Outdoor Educators in the spring/fall programs will facilitate 3-day school chaperoned field trips at MEC for our partner NYC public schools. Outdoor Educators in the summer programs will lead wilderness expeditions for campers & can expect to guide an average of 6 backpacking and/or canoeing trips, ranging from 2 to 5 days in length.
Chaperoned School Field Trip Program (Spring): 4-9 to 6-8-18
Seasonal Summer Camp Backcountry Expedition Program: 6-11 to 8-26-18
MEC offers on 6-9-18 a 2 day SOLO Wilderness First Aid and Red Cross CPR
Certification Courses before the start of summer training.
Chaperoned School Field Trip Program (Fall): 9-5 to 10-28-18
• Develop and deliver experientially focused educational opportunities for youth ages 11-18 in environmental science and leadership training courses.
• Facilitate low ropes course elements and group initiatives.
• Facilitate 3 day, school chaperoned field trips (spring & fall only)
• Safely lead groups on extended backcountry excursions (summer only)
• Overnight supervision of students or campers (max. 7) in cabin style tents
• Mentor, support, and empower Outdoor Education Assistant Counselors
• Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoys connecting with urban youth.
• Experience in outdoor education & leadership training in a camp setting.
• Experience working with urban school groups (field trip program only)
• Experience with wilderness navigation (summer only)
• BA/BS in related discipline preferred. Significant professional experience considered.
• Field Trip Program Education Counselors: Current First Aid and CPR certifications
• Summer Camp Education Counselors: Wilderness First Aid and CPR certifications or the ability & commitment to successfully obtain during certification courses offered at MEC in June.
• Waterfront Lifeguard Certification, or ability & commitment to successfully obtain during certification courses offered at MEC in June, is preferred. (summer only)
• Spanish/English Bilingual a plus.
• Valid driver’s license preferred.
• Background clearances and medical physical required. Initial drug screening may be required.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com