Zephyr is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Environmental Scientist /Natural Resources Specialist to join a team of environmental consulting professionals either in Zephyr’s Austin or San Antonio office. The Environmental Scientist /Natural Resources Specialist will contribute technically as a part of the project team in the areas of National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the Endangered Species Act (ESA), Clean Water Act (CWA) as well as support additional environmental multi-media regulatory initiatives for industrial and public client projects.
The ideal candidate shall have a USFWS Section 10 Scientific Permit(s) for conducting surveys for the Golden-cheeked warbler, Black-capped vireo, Houston toad and/or other Central Texas species.
Using your technical skills, you will:
• Perform wetlands determinations/delineations according to USACE protocol and perform field data verification and data entry
• Perform habitat assessments and presence/absence surveys for threatened and endangered species
• Perform preliminary desktop reviews for projects to establish constraints to construction and permitting
• Prepare letter reports, compliance documents, NEPA documents (CE, EA, EIS)
• Perform environmental monitoring and compliance inspections for project construction activities
• Analyze data to determine validity, quality, and scientific significance, and interpret correlations between human activities and environmental effects
• Prepare General and Individual USACE Permit submittals relating to Section 404 of the Clean Water Act
• Communicate effectively and professionally with project staff, clients, resource agencies, sub-consultants, land agents and landowners concerning project purpose
• Utilize computer software such as ESRI, ArcMap 9.3, ArcGIS Server, ArcIMS, Google Earth, Microsoft products to include Word, Excel; Internet Explorer; Access; and Adobe Illustrator
• Operate equipment such as GPS, laser range finders, ATVs, cameras and other field equipment as necessary for the project
• Work in a variety of outdoor settings and weather that may require long periods of standing; walking over rough terrain; working in water; recurring bending, reaching, or similar activities. Work may also include frequent lifting of moderately heavy items, such as equipment that weighs up to 50 pounds
• Follow Zephyr project safety requirements
• Travel in and out of state 30-40% of the time
BS/BA in Biology, Aquatic Science, or related Environmental Science degree with a minimum of 5 years of experience in natural resources services with specific experience in:
• Interpreting and applying Section 404 of the Clean Water Act (Nationwide and Individual) Permitting
• Preparing a Section 10 Permit Application under the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1899
• Cultural resources and various environmental regulations
• Assessing and permitting linear projects (pipeline, stream/drainage channels, transmission corridors, transportation)
• Proven communication skills (verbal, written, proposal and presentation)
• Corresponding with clients, USACE, USFWS, TPWD, and TCEQ is a plus
• The oil and gas, municipal, and aggregate sectors is a plus
• Possess a valid Texas Driver’s License and good driving record
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com
Zephyr Environmental Corporation is a privately held full-service environmental, health and safety (EHS) firm offering consulting, training, and data systems services to clients worldwide. Working within multiple industries, we specialize in air and water quality, waste management and clean-up issues, incident management, and workplace and community safety.
Zephyr has taken great care to build a staff of professionals that satisfies the variety of EHS challenges posed by both our clients’ needs and by regulators. Our focus on teamwork has resulted in a productive, shared working environment that enables us to provide the right mix of professionals for each project. This approach allows our teams to seamlessly collaborate on multiple service projects for a client across Zephyr offices to satisfy multiple facility requests from locations around the world.