The Friends of Gold Butte is seeking a motivated individual who is passionate for land conservation to help us build support and community pride for the Gold Butte National Monument (GBNM). This position is a two-year fellowship sponsored by the Wyss Foundation. In addition to the benefits offered, the successful applicant will participate in leadership training and welcomed into a strong community of conservationists. For more information about the Wyss Fellowship program, visit http://www.wyssfoundation.org/fellows-scholars/.
Goals: Overall the Community Outreach Manager will build positive community support for the Gold Butte National Monument (GBNM) in the gateway city of Mesquite Nevada.
- Launch a business tool-kit and present and distribute it to the business community in Mesquite, Nevada and other surrounding rural communities of Moapa Valley and St. George, UT.
- Grow and manage a corps of volunteers to conduct stewardship, monitoring and citizen science activities in GBNM.
- Generate positive earned, paid, and social media that demonstrates community support and pride for GBNM.
- Grow membership and supporters for the Friends of Gold Butte in Mesquite, NV, Moapa Valley, and St. George UT.
Activities and Responsibilities:
- Conduct research and scoping of businesses to determine what they need for a tool-kit that will serve as a marketing platform and information portal about the GBNM.
- Coordinate the design and production of print and digital versions of the tool-kit.
- Outreach to businesses to present and distribute the tool kit.
- Work in conjunction with BLM staff to coordinate and schedule volunteer trainings and plan and implement volunteer projects.
- Recruit and retain volunteers.
- Manage the volunteer and business outreach programs including budgeting and reporting.
- Develop content for digital and print marketing efforts and generate social media.
- Generate earned media by writing and distribute press releases, newsletter articles, and letters to the editor that highlight the benefits and support for GBNM.
- Assist the Executive Director with fundraising efforts as needed.
- Must possess a Bachelor's Degree or higher in Environmental Science, Communications, Marketing, Business, Political Science, or a similar field from an accredited institution.
- Must be proficient in MS Office Suite.
- Must be comfortable with computers and learning new cloud-based software.
- Must own a high clearance vehicle and comfortable driving on gravel and dirt roads.
- Must hold a current Wilderness First Aid certification or be willing to obtain certification.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently with clear guidance but minimal supervision.
- Experience with WordPress, Mail Chimp (or a similar email marketing platform) a plus.
- 1-2 years’ experience working outdoors on public land stewardship projects a plus.
- Experience with non-profit program management including budgeting a plus.
In addition to the $41,000 salary the Community Outreach Manager will receive a health insurance stipend, computer, mileage reimbursement and training and professional development opportunities.
Send a cover letter, resume or CV, 3-5 professional references, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Community Outreach Manager” in the subject line by 11:59pm PT on Sunday, December 3.