The Manager of Environmental Affairs purpose is to execute environmental management strategies focused on Southern Minnesota Beet Sugar Cooperative’s commitment to actively seek to surpass requirements of all applicable environmental laws, regulations and permits. The main objective with this position is to manage the environmental risk and exposure associated with SMBSC’s operations. This will be done by integrating its environmental performance management activities with its other business management activities through (1) communicating its environmental policy to internal and external audiences, (2) maintaining an efficient management system and (3) prognosticating the needs of the Company and environmental regulation agencies.
Environmental Risk Management
- Manages to the development, implementation and reporting of SMBSC’s environmental practices, programs, standards, management systems and performance metrics.
- Coordinates with government and environmental agencies to ensure permit responsibilities are met; renews permits on annual, monthly, weekly and as-needed basis.
- Acts as a change agent and project sponsor for environmental management execution; models organizational values.
- Collects, synthesizes, studies and reports necessary information to appropriate sources.
- Reviews materials safety data sheets (MSDS) data to ensure proper reporting is completed; determines MSDS compatibility with environmental management system (EMS).
- Represents the Company in regulatory and other key stakeholder engagements regarding environmental and permitting matters.
- Directs environmental consultants and contractors to ensure the production of technically sound, environmentally-friendly work.
- Evaluates and responds to violations or problems discovered during inspections or routine data collection to determine appropriate reporting occurs; provides advice on the development of corrective actions for the future.
- Collaborates with senior management to identify and analyze environmental requirements, risks and solution options; implements these strategies.
- Provides leadership and mentoring to site personnel regarding the design, development, implementation, review and maintenance of environmental controls and management systems.
Leadership and Management
- Contributes to the formulation of annual operating and capital budgets for environmental management; recommends and maintains budgeting and allocation for environmental needs based on SMBSC’s established financial guidelines and business planning process.
- Oversees investigations and research used to identify, abate or eliminate sources of pollutants or hazards that may affect the environment or the health SMBSC’s constituents.
- Recommends action based on data derived from measurements or observations of air, soil, water and other sources.
Core Competencies and Skill Requirements:
- Broad understanding of environmental laws and regulations
- Ability to evaluate information to determine compliance using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations and standards
- Ability to keep up-to-date with changes to regulations and standards and applying the new knowledge to benefit SMBSC
- Ability to provide guidance and expert advice to management or other groups on technical, systems-related or process-related topics
- Proficient analytical and scientific skills
- Ability to gather information by observing, receiving and obtaining information from all relevant sources
- Ability to identify trends, patterns and anomalies with data to draw conclusions and make recommendations for current and future needs
- Ability to quantify the characteristics of products and materials used at the Company, which includes estimating sizes and quantities or determining time, costs, resources or materials needed to perform a work activity
- Ability to inspect equipment, structures or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems and defects
- Strong conflict management and resolution skills
- Ability to handle complaints, settle disputes and resolve grievances and conflicts; negotiate with external audiences
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with internal and external audiences and maintain these relationships over time to advance the overall public image of SMBSC
- Ability to document information in a logical, sequential manner which includes entering, transcribing, recording, storing and maintaining information
- Ability to maintain high attention to detail
Required Education and Experience:
- 10-15 years of experience working in environmental compliance, emphasizing soil and water preservation and/or solid waste management
- Bachelor of Science degree in natural resource management, natural sciences or other related fields
- Experience managing employees and directing work teams
- Additional specialized education including masters level degree, a plus
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change any time with or without notice.