Job Title: Temporary Political Field Organizer
Department: Virginia Chapter
Reports To: Political Field Director
Context: Organizes and coordinates activities to carry out regional programs for the chapter political program.
Scope: Recruits volunteers and ensures that recruitment goals are achieved throughout the duration of the program. Ensures the successful training and orientation of all volunteers. Provides volunteer teams with the positive leadership culture, resources, guidance and technical support required to succeed during each phase of the program while ensuring compliance with all Sierra Club policies and best practices. Communicates all pertinent on-the-ground information to, and providing timely response to requests from, the volunteers under your direction. Ensures that volunteers properly perform their roles and maintain accurate and reliable data. Provides the Field Director with daily quantitative and qualitative reports as part of an ongoing evaluation of the program’s success.
- Identifies, recruits, and organizes Sierra Club leaders to mobilize members to vote in addition to direct recruitment for and engagement with the campaign.
- Works with others to devise strategy and recommends plan to reach out to Sierra Club members with conservation message around issues.
- Compiles up-to-date and accurate voter registration information for Sierra Club members in assigned region.
- Creates a database of information on Sierra Club members, leads phone banking drives and conducts mass mailings.
- Travels to organize grassroots events and to meet with targeted media, allies, or elected officials.
- Holds meetings among Sierra Club members in strategic communities to recruit and train for political and GOTV campaign.
- Motivates members to become activists in Sierra Club Groups by advancing our environmental policy agenda among Sierra Club members.
- Cultivates a legacy of environmental activism in the assigned region after the 2017 elections.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledgeable with environmental issues in Virginia.
- One to two years campaign organizing experience.
- Position requires extensive travel and applicants must have their own transportation with valid driver's license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively and effectively with public, staff and volunteers.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com