The Water Services Department is seeking a Hydrologist. Responsibilities include managing groundwater and recharge well siting strategies and technical assessments consistent with an understanding of the City’s overall water supply strategies and water distribution infrastructure capabilities; assisting with updating the water resources plan, groundwater management plan and infrastructure master plans; assisting the Water Resource Policy Advisor and the Law Department about technical issues related to wells, recharge and groundwater contamination issues; managing the process to obtain well and recharge permits; coordinating with others regarding the construction and operation of well facilities; conducting or managing groundwater modeling efforts; and keeping abreast of and advising in regard to legislative, environmental, regulatory or technological issues related to groundwater and aquifer management.
First review of resumes will occur the week of April 10, 2017. Recruitment may close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications.
Four years of experience in surface water hydrology, groundwater hydrology, geology, or agricultural economics, including experience in the General Stream Adjudication, and a bachelor's degree in hydrology or geology, plus:
- Knowledge of hydrology and hydro-geology.
- Knowledge of municipal water demand, water resources, and other water usage related to groundwater.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills and the ability to use data management software and hydrologic models.
- Must produce written documents with clearly organized thoughts using proper English sentence construction, punctuation, and grammar.
- Must communicate verbally with other City employees, contractors, governmental groups or the public in face-to-face settings, or using a telephone.
- This position requires the use of personal or City vehicles on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess an appropriate valid Arizona driver's license, possess personal insurance coverage, and have an acceptable driving record.
- Only the highest qualified will be posted to the eligible to hire list.
A well-qualified candidate will possess the job requirements listed above, plus:
- A master’s degree in hydrology, hydrogeology or a similar advanced degree is preferred.
- Registered Geologist with the Arizona State Board of Technical Registration or the ability to become registered within 12 months of employment.
- Knowledge and experience with the hydrogeology of the Phoenix area.
- Knowledge about the Arizona Groundwater Management Act regarding groundwater wells and aquifer recharge.
- Knowledge of Arizona Department of Water Resources regulatory and permitting requirements for wells and recharge facilities.
- Knowledge about Arizona Department of Environmental Quality requirements regarding water quality for groundwater well and recharge facilities, including pertaining to contaminant plume management.
- Rudimentary knowledge of water and wastewater infrastructure and conveyance systems, and the interrelationship of these systems to the placement, sizing and distribution of water to and from groundwater and recharge wells.
- Strong writing, communication, presentation, and project management skills.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer; our employees demonstrate superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to innovation, efficiency, and fiscally responsible activity.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com
$66,518- $99,195 annually.