The Chief Water Quality Inspector performs supervisory and technical work in the Water Services Department’s industrial pre-treatment program, commercial inspection program, drinking water sampling, wastewater sampling, or storm water management program, and supervises senior water quality inspectors and water quality inspectors.
The incumbent will monitor industrial and commercial customer compliance with industrial pre-treatment requirements or storm water management requirements, and recommend enforcement actions to management. Duties may include overseeing industrial permits and facility inspections ; reviewing engineering plans for pretreatment devices; investigating sanitary sewer overflows and illicit discharges; responding to customer inquiries; and ensuring City compliance with federal and state requirements. The incumbent serves as a liaison to various City departments, private contractors and other government agencies providing training and public outreach.
Recruitment may close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications. Appointment can be made above the minimum.
$54,392 - $81,245 annualized. Appointment can be made above the minimum depending upon qualifications.
Comprehensive benefits package includes: 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, 15 sick days, free bus/light rail pass, traditional pension and 457/401 plans, tuition reimbursement upon hire, choice of Blue Cross/Blue Shield or Cigna HMO, PPO. For more details, visit: https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Benefit%20Category/007.pdf
• Four years-experience in environmental monitoring field involving industrial and commercial facility inspections, stormwater management, industrial waste process control, drinking water sampling and wastewater sampling, or pollution prevention (or two years of experience at the level of Senior Water Quality Inspector).
• Two years of college-level coursework in chemistry, chemical engineering, biology, environmental science or a related field.
• Working irregular hours, shifts, weekends, holidays, and evenings may be required.
• Supervisory experience preferred.
• Knowledge of wastewater pretreatment devices preferred.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer; our employees demonstrate superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to innovation, efficiency, and fiscally responsible activity.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com