Job Title: Chapter Director, Sierra Club – Delta Chapter (LA)
Date of Hire: June 15, 2017, or upon finding a qualified candidate
Summary: The Sierra Club – Delta Chapter (Louisiana) is searching for an experienced person to work as Chapter Director beginning in June 2017. This person must be self-motivated and willing to implement the directives and policies established by a volunteer Executive Committee. The top tier qualities sought by the Executive Committee include: formulating a conservation agenda and representing the statewide organization to the public, media and decision-makers; demonstrated strength in partnering with volunteer organizations; developing and implementing fundraising campaigns.
Reports To: Chapter Chair or Designated Volunteer Leader
- Assists the Executive Committee and other Chapter Committees in developing the Chapter's short and long term strategic, programmatic and financial goals and objectives.
- Plans and implements an effective public relations program and develops contacts with the media to establish and maintain positive relations to maximize the Chapter's visibility, credibility and positions on issues.
- Assists Conservation Programs Coordinator and Priority Issue Subcommittees in the planning and implementation of the core conservation efforts and programs.
- Plans and implements effective fundraising campaigns that reflect the Chapter’s goals and priorities with advice from appropriate Chapter Committees as necessary.
- Assists the Chapter Legislative Chair in planning and implementing effective legislative and Administrative initiatives that reflect the Chapter’s goals and priorities, and represents the Chapter to elected and administrative officials.
- Attends and facilitates meetings, task forces, and events. Builds strong relationships with organizations, elected officials, governmental agencies, etc. Represents the Chapter in public forums, events, and in the media.
- Coordinates efforts with the national headquarters staff and ensures that the Chapter goals and objectives are in compliance with national priorities.
- Recruits and motivates volunteers and enables their role in the effectiveness of the Chapter.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills:
- B.A./B.S. degree in Environmental Studies, Political Science, Non-Profit Management or a closely related field.
- At least 3 years of experience in managing a non-profit organization, fundraising, campaign planning and grassroots organizing.
- Prior experience and knowledge of managing programs, staff, fundraising and budgets.
- Strong demonstrated written communication skills (grant proposals, fundraising letters, legislative testimony, press releases, newsletter articles, enews, website, social media).
- Demonstrated public speaking experience.
- Prior legislative and administrative lobbying experience desirable.
- Excellent knowledge and background in specific environmental issues pertinent to Louisiana (industrial impacts to air and water quality, forest and wildlife ecology, coastal erosion, climate change).
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with, training, and motivating volunteers.
- The standard Sierra Club work week is 37.5 hours. This will include frequent travel and attendance at weekend and evening meetings.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 4 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) organization. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com