Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire six youth members through Fort Monroe National Monument’s historic preservation efforts. Work includes: Repairing historic structures through carpentry, painting, masonry and other historic preservation techniques.
Program Dates: 6/8/2017 – 8/31/2017 (Includes Leader Training)
Location: Fort Monroe, VA
- Ensure successful, quality, and timely work for a six person team
- Guide crew dynamics and facilitate teamwork
- Actively manage project/member risk to maintain a safe work environment
- Assist in the technical skills training of corps members
- Manage the quality & technique of work performed
- Promote leadership development within team and evaluate success & potential
- Manage relationship with agency partners
- Work collaboratively with agency on program logistics
- Ensure successful and timely completion of work project
- Communicate with SCA field support staff
- Complete required program reporting and documentation
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
- Ensure compliance with all SCA Risk Management policies & procedures
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Current First Aid certification & CPR required by the start of the training
- Experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18), teaching in an educational environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. carpentry, historic preservation, trail maintenance, trail construction, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements in Fort Monroe, but a housing stipend is provided, see compensation details for more information.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com
Compensation: $545 per week and $1000 per month in housing stipends.