About the Position:
The Trustees Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) offers in-depth work and learning opportunities for young people who are interested in outdoor environmental work. The YCC offers paid positions during the months of July and August in New Bedford and Fall River. Under the direction of a crew supervisor, YCC members work in teams of 8 to 12 youth assisting with the stewardship of forests, farms, beaches and parks by completing hands-on projects that range from planting trees and growing organic vegetables to trail construction and cleanups. The Youth Conservation Corps offers a powerful experience that incorporates leadership, teamwork, and vocational skills into practical projects that provide real benefits to the local community and environment.
Specific work will vary based on individual Crew assignment. Responsibilities may include:
- Complete restoration and beatification projects such as planting trees, removal of non-native plants and trash cleanup.
- Work in community gardens to plant, weed, water, harvest and distribute vegetables.
- Complete basic carpentry projects such as the construction of bridges, boardwalks, benches and picnic tables.
- Assist with education programs, such as leading summer nature programs for children, creating interpretive materials, and designing educational activities.
- Deliver presentations to community groups and staff informational tables at public events.
- Property stewardship including trail maintenance and construction, stone wall clearing, and sign installation.
- Collect and analyze environmental data such as stream surveys, water quality testing, and natural resource inventories.
- Maintain a journal with personal reflections and observations from fieldwork.
- Participate in group discussions, teambuilding, and leadership development activities.
- Participate in field trips such as kayak and biking trips and the annual youth summit.
- Work with individuals from partner organizations including the New Bedford Parks Department, Fall River Water Department, Mass DCR, and Trustees property stewards and superintendents.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
- No prior experience required
- Must be 16 - 18 years old by July 2017
- Ability to perform physical work outdoors in all weather
- Interest in learning about the natural environment
- Enthusiasm to work as part of a team
- Desire to make a difference in your community
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com