The Hopewell Virginia site is one of the world’s largest makers of caprolactam, an essential ingredient for producing nylon, as well as nylon resins. Both are used to make products we use every day – from engineered plastics for automobiles to carpeting to food packaging. It is also major producer of ammonium sulfate, a highly effective fertilizer. Scientists and engineers have also created a new fertilizer, Sulf-N® 26, a unique substance that is a great fertilizer and is impractical to use as an explosive. Sulf-N 26 is the first nitrate-based fertilizer to receive SAFETY Act designation from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
• Team member of the Hopewell Heath Safety & Environmental team
• Interface with local, State and Federal regulatory agencies on permitting and related issues.
• Work with the site on preparation and submission of required environmental reports and plans:
- SARA Tier 2
- Biennial Waste Report
- Hazardous Waste Contingency Plan
- NPDES permit monitoring, reporting and internal controls
• Regulatory interface/communication with the local POTW, Hopewell’s waste water treatment plant (HWR)
• Metric Reporting for waste, water and energy
- Perform reviews of new materials before brought on-site as a member of our chemical approval committee
• Manage contractors and consultants/on-site service relationships as needed
• Maintain and improve spill response systems and plans
- Drinking Water and Backflow Preventer Systems monitoring, inspection and Compliance
• Drive continuous Improvement in all area of HSE
• Designated Point of Contact for plant area and perform on call responsibilities
• Waste area inspection compliance
- Storm Water Compliance and SWPPP Annual Compliance evaluations
• Provide waste and water instructor led training/awareness & prepare computer-based training (CBT) modules
• Participate in Compliance Operating System activities, meetings, Gemba walks and rapid problem solving.
• Work collaboratively with plant operating area to improve their process and programs
Basic Candidate Qualifications:
- BS / BA degree in Engineering, Chemistry, environmental science or related field is required.
• Minimum of 2 years environmental experience managing Water and RCRA compliance programs is required.
Additional Candidate Qualifications:
- Uncompromising drive for compliance and willingness to escalate issues as needed.
- The environmental engineer will need to:
- demonstrate excellent communication and teamwork skills
- have the ability to interface with and influence all levels of plant personnel.
- Six Sigma certification preferred
• Demonstrated leadership skills
• Strong communication skills (written/verbal)
• Demonstrated ability to use influencing skills to accomplish goals and objectives
• Able to manage multiple priorities
• Strong Computer Skills
We offer a team oriented environment along with exciting career opportunities and a highly competitive compensation and benefits package.
AdvanSix is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, religion, or veteran status.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com