Do you enjoy working with people in an environment filled with plants and animals?
Como Park Zoo and Conservatory is now hiring part-time, seasonal public educators in the Visitor Services Department.
Attendants provide excellent customer service 365 days a year and serve as public educators teaching visitors about the plants and animals at Como Park Zoo and Conservatory. This position includes work in both indoor and outdoor settings (in all weather conditions) and requires standing and/or walking during most of the 4-9 hour shifts. Experience working with or studying plants and animals is preferred. Core skills and experience include: public speaking ability, second language skills, customer service experience, CPR and first aid certification.
- Represent Como Park Zoo and Conservatory in a professional manner by being friendly, proactive, courteous, knowledgeable, and well-groomed
- Enthusiastically interprets plants and animals to the public in an informal setting
- Actively welcome, engage, guide and orient Como visitors
- Follow established policies and procedures at Como
- Greet and support volunteers
- Assist with administering first aid and giving CPR, if certified
- Ensure opening and closing procedures are done daily
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or General Education Development Certificate (GED)
- Must be able to work 20-40 hours per week through Labor Day; including weekends, some evening events and holidays
- Must be dependable
- Have the ability to stand or walk for four hours at a time
- Working indoors and outdoors in all weather and temperature conditions is required
- Have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively over the radio and public address system
- Be self-motivated, outgoing, and well-spoken
- Display strong leadership skills
- Be available to attend ongoing trainings which may include: customer service, emergency procedures and plant and animal interpretation
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Pass a criminal background check
- Must be available to attend one of two scheduled four-day, mandatory, paid training sessions:
- May 14th, 16th, 17th, 18th & 24th (shifts scheduled beginning in May after training is completed) OR
- June 4th, 6th, 7th, 9th & 14th (shifts scheduled beginning in June after training is complete)
Application deadline for May training session is April 17, 2017
Application deadline for June training session is May 17, 2017
Current job listings at the Como Zoo and Conservatory can also be viewed at: http://www.comozooconservatory.org/about/employment/current-job-listing/#/current-job-listing
Temporary: This posting is open to anyone who meets the position requirements. Positions hired to complete short-term, seasonal assignments. No benefits are provided for this position.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com