This position is based out of Portland, Oregon but is 100% travel in North America.
Vestas is looking for experienced wind technicians. We would love to have you join our team across North America to travel to our sites to grow and train with the best in the sustainable/renewable/alternative energy industry. If you enjoy frequent travel and are looking to expand your existing experience with wind energy technology, this could be the financially-rewarding career for you.
Vestas American Wind Technology, Inc., Service - US & Canada
The Resource Department is part of the greater operations department supporting service sites and construction projects. The department is responsible to provide Vestas trained and qualified technicians as requested by operations service and construction. This group is a key activity within the company because execution of construction projects and service plans is dependent on the ability to move resources where they are needed on schedule.
- Previous wind turbine construction, commissioning, troubleshooting, or maintenance experience a must
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Post high school education (i.e. wind school, trade school, college) preferred
- Minimum two (2) year wind industry experience – electrical experience, including ability to read electrical drawings is preferred
- Demonstrated use and understanding of intermediate level power tools such as hydraulic, power torque and diagnostic tools (e.g. fluke meter functions and hydraulic pressure gauge).
- Ability to demonstrate intermediate working knowledge of industrial safety practices / protocols (e.g. Confined Space, energy isolation).
- Ability to complete detailed component inspections and report on findings
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to obtain a Passport.
- Strong attention to detail and execution excellence.
- Good interpersonal communication (written and verbal) and customer relation skills.
- Able to effectively collaborate with employees at all professional levels and ability to respectfully follow supervision and support initiatives.
- Intermediate computer operation skills, familiarity with internet based program navigation, ability to generate and interpret computer data, and proficient use of laptop.
- Ability to read, interpret and understand drawings and schematics to validate work activity and ensure that risks are identified and mitigated.
- Ability to travel 100% of the time.
- Acts as a safety role model, encourages and recognizes others completing safe acts and intervenes when unsafe acts are being practiced. Adheres to all safety standards and procedures. Identifies gaps in safety standards as well as safety risks in the environment, implements effective risk mitigation and provides recommendations to higher level technical staff and management.
- Demonstrates and promotes integrity, strong initiative, as well as a no-compromise focus on safety and quality of work on a continuous basis.
- May assist with or perform basic quality audits of less experienced staff.
- Performs intermediate level wind turbine maintenance and/or installation tasks as assigned. This includes proficient operation and use of tools (including but not limited to specialized calibration, hydraulic, power tools) and basic turbine equipment. Documents tasks where required and enters data into company system, such as SAP.
- Effectively gathers information regarding turbine performance / issues. May diagnose, recommend, and implement solutions up to intermediate routine issues. Seeks assistance when encountering turbine issues outside trained skill level to ensure success in resolution.
- Follows basic structured problem-solving process to complete troubleshooting and diagnostic tasks to include the use of diagnostic tools (e.g. basic fluke meter functions, hydraulic pressure gauge).
- Independently initiates and performs most work tasks as well as follows defined instructions and maintenance schedules, executing plans as directed and performs according to written and verbal instruction from higher level technical staff.
- Effectively promotes strong team environment through assisting team mates in accomplishing goals as well as mentoring lower level technical staff. Visibly supports and promotes team spirit and cooperation, and supports change initiatives.
- Proactively looks for improvement opportunities to job appropriate processes and procedures and communicates through appropriate channels or implements improvements using the appropriate control management protocol.
- Interfaces with customer and may respond to customer inquiries. Will refer complex customer inquiries to higher level technical staff or manager. Demonstrates strong customer focus at all times.
- This role will require 100% travel, working overtime, including working a flexible and variable work schedule as needed to meet business objectives.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
- Ability to read, comprehend and write in English.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders 60-125 meters in height.
- Ability to lift, push, pull, carry items up to 50 lbs in weight.
- Ability to stand, stoop, kneel, and bend for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to grip and manually manipulate, often with repetitive motion, items such as, but not limited to, hand tools, turbine parts.
- Comfort working in confined spaces and at heights over 100 meters.
- Ability to successfully participate in all training courses, including high-angle rescue and training.
- Periodic walking.
- Ability to hear and use close range radios.
- Strong field of vision including visual depth perception and ability to distinguish colors.
- Able to work in demanding physical and inclement weather conditions.
- Comfort working remotely with limited supervisory interaction.
What we offer
As a member of the Vestas team, we offer a competitive salary and one of the most comprehensive benefits plans in the industry. Among the many amenities we offer: fully funded healthcare; dental; vision; generous paid vacation and sick time; as well as generous 401(k) plan; tuition assistance; and much more.
It is the policy of Vestas to afford equal employment opportunity without regard to age, race, religion, color, gender, or national origin, and to afford equal opportunity to veterans and individuals with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, provincial, or local law. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify a representative within the People & Culture department.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com