VHB is searching for an Environmental Scientist to join our Sarasota and Tampa, Florida office. VHB’s passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
VHB is seeking an environmental scientist with 5 to 10 years of experience with environmental permitting and/or monitoring as an environmental consultant or with the public sector (federal, state, or local) within Florida. We are seeking a diverse individual with varied interests.
- Perform natural resource surveys including, but not limited to, wetland delineations and functional assessments, wildlife habitat evaluations, protected species surveys and water quality data collection/analysis.
- Assist project managers with development of federal, state and local permit applications
- Permit compliance monitoring
- Develop supporting figures and mapping for various projects using GPS and GIS technologies
- Preparation of various technical reports
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong technical writing skills
- Strong time management skills
- Project and client management experience preferred
- Advanced knowledge and demonstrated experience with GIS and GPS mobile technologies
- Ability to identify and/or key out local plant species
- Ability to calibrate and operate field water quality sampling equipment
- Ability to characterize soil profiles
- Understanding of wetland regulations, both State and federal
- Experience with NEPA is a plus
- 5-10 years of experience
- B.S. in physical sciences, natural resources, wetland science, or a related field, M.S. may substitute for two years of experience
- Demonstrated working knowledge of wetland regulations in Florida is required
- Experience operating off-road vehicles, boats, and trailers
- Experience with mobile data collection technology highly desired
- Must have the ability to conduct tasks independently
- Must be able to multi-task and manage own and others time for various Project Managers and clients
- Expertise in identifying local flora and fauna a plus
- Expertise with TMDLs, Florida Impaired Water Rule, and other water quality-related rules and regulations a plus
- Expertise in instantaneous and continuous water quality and quantity sampling equipment a plus
- This position may involve working in remote field locations, temporary assignments in other regions where VHB operates, and may include night/weekend shifts and/or working long hours in challenging weather conditions.
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 36 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact, and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com