The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF), a national leader in building public environmental literacy, is seeking a passionate self-starter to join the programs team. The Program Officer, Environmental Education will serve as a subject matter expert and lead related matters. Under the guidance of and in collaboration with the Managing Director for Program Services and other organizational leaders, the Program Officer is responsible for aligning NEEF’s environmental education focus area with organizational and programmatic priorities to include developing both short and long term objectives related to environmental education work. In this capacity, s/he will develop and manage a portfolio of organizational initiatives, internal and external relationships. The Program Officer must demonstrate leadership, can work in a goal-oriented and independent manner, and be experienced in working across an organization.
Under the supervision of the Managing Director for Program Services, the Program Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Developing, executing and assessing an integrated environmental education strategy that is aligned with NEEF’s organizational priorities, vision, and implementable at the national and local levels
- Leading general program management activities (i.e. draft budgets, project plans/timelines, report writing)
- Increasing the reach and impact of NEEF’s environmental education work through a variety of methods including, but not limited to: creatively engaging stakeholders with broad environmental education knowledge, expertise and perspectives; leading regional and local outreach efforts for traditional and nontraditional allies
- Building and managing a portfolio of strategically designed, diverse stakeholder relationships necessary to achieve NEEF’s overall goals and vision
- Collaborating with NEEF’s Research and Best Practice’s team to evaluate success and impact of initiatives
- Overseeing and ensuring compliance with all existing and new funding initiatives provided by federal, foundation, and corporate partners
- Collaborating with NEEF’s Marketing & Communications team to develop content for engaged stakeholders as well as the public related to environmental education & place-based learning
- Stewarding the development of meaningful resources, outreach materials, and opportunities for educators and general audiences
- Designing and implementing environmental education & place-based learning initiatives that engage traditionally underrepresented audiences/communities in participating in environmental education
- Assisting with fundraising efforts, including but not limited to, writing project proposals and final reports
- Ensuring the effectiveness and credibility of initiatives and resources through ongoing quality assurance and outreach
- Being able to successfully manage and coach staff to accomplish goals
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree in environmental science or related discipline required.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in one or more of the following areas: environmental education, outdoor education, project based and hands-on learning
- Minimum of 5 years of project management experience, preferably in a non-profit setting
- Experience working with K-12 students and/or schools. Knowledge of common core standards and/or next generation science standards and related information.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to manage stakeholders from the public and private sectors
- Strong event management skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Experience engaging and working with underrepresented communities
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with fundraising
- Flexible, self-motivated, proactive, and reliable as a leader and as part of a team.
- Ability to sit in meetings for long periods of time.
- Ability to work effectively music Microsoft Office and other tools on a personal computer for long periods of time.
- Additionally, the ideal candidate will demonstrate an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations; and
- Contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com
The salary is commensurate with experience. The foundation has excellent benefits.