About the Position:
Vacancies in the following locations
- Lake Isabella, CA
- Lemoncove, CA
- Oakdale, CA
- Orland, CA
- Piedra, CA
- Porterville, CA
- Raymond, CA
- Smartville, CA
- Truckee, CA
- Valley Springs, CA
Position(s) will be filled under the Department of the Army Pathways Intern Program. Click here for more information on Pathways program participation. The Department of the Army Pathways Interns may be converted to a permanent position within 120 days of successful completion of the program.
This intern position is designed to prepare a student trainee for employment after graduation as a GS-0025-5/7/9 Park Ranger. Interns will be assigned to one or more higher graded specialists who will assign tasks designed to increase familiarity with the target occupation, in a real world work environment.
This opportunity follows a standard promotional path: one year at the GS-03 with acceptable performance with be promoted to a GS-04, one year at the GS-04 with acceptable performance will be promoted to the GS-05 level.
- Internship at the GS-03 (typically college students with Freshman or Sophomore's standing and GS-04 (typically college students with Sophomore or Junior standing).
- Internship at the GS-04 (typically college students with Sophomore or Junior standing and GS-05 (typically college students with Junior or Senior standing).
- Internship at the GS-05 (typically college students with Junior or Senior standing and GS-05 (typically college students with Senior or graduate class standing).
- The entry-level position will have a target full performance level of GS-09. Progression from the entry-level to the full performance level for this occupation will depend on successful completion of all requirements for promotion. Promotions may be considered after a year at each grade level, but are not guaranteed to occur on a specific time schedule.
See eligibility requirements for conversion to a permanent or term position in the "Other Information" section below.
Who May Apply:
Students who are eligible for participation in the Department of the Army Internship Program
Positions are open to current students pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate in an accredited high school, college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution.
As an intern, you will be assigned to a senior specialist or group of specialists. You will be assigned tasks designed to familiarize you with different aspects of the occupation. Tasks will vary depending on the senior specialist's current workload, but may include the following:
- Serves as a Student Trainee (Park Ranger) assisting the ranger staff with the routine duties required to operate and maintain the recreational facility to which the employee is assigned. Employee works under the general supervision of the Park Manager and receives assignments from a higher graded Park Rangers. Familiar assignments are assigned with general instructions and without explicit detail. Explicit instructions are provided on special, unfamiliar or unusual assignments. Independently completes assignments, consulting a higher graded ranger when unexpected technical or personal contact problems are encountered.
- Provides visitor assistance requiring some specialized knowledge of the project such as: answering questions and providing information to the public on such items as cultural history, fish and wildlife habitats, project purpose, etc., and explaining park rules and regulations (e.g., fee compliance, safe vessel operation, etc.). Assists higher graded Park Rangers in patrolling recreational areas and flood risk management facilities. Provides routine courtesy safety inspections and collects recreational use fees. Informs and brings to the attention of park visitors violations of rules and regulations and gains voluntary compliance at the lowest level possible.
- Occasional Travel
- Approximately 10% of the time.
Closes Tuesday 3/28/2017
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com
$26,150 to $41,607/year. Series & Grade GS-0099-03/05. Promotion Potential GS-09.