Position Summary: We seek an energetic self-starter able to take direction well and work independently. This internship seeks to provide internship opportunities to students of color. Applicants from Historically Black Colleges or Universities (HBCU) within North Carolina are encouraged to apply. Major intern activities and deliverables will include:
Community Engagement Documentation and Replication
- Research historical documents and interview Resourceful Communities team members to identify and document “triple bottom line” approaches to helping low-income communities and communities of color address social justice, economic insecurity and environmental issues in their communities.
- Document the community outreach and engagement process led by Bennett Belle, Cynthia Brown, in developing the Lindsay Street Park project in Atlanta, GA; and develop “how-to” materials to be used by Resourceful Communities, TCF and community partners in replicating similar processes in communities.
- Meet with Sandhills Family Heritage Association (SFHA) leaders to learn about goals for the proposed Heritage Series, and assist staff and Board members in developing and implementing community engagement principles and strategies into Heritage Series activities.
Conservation Fund: Program and Partner Overviews
- Interview program staff of four Conservation Fund programs; develop five+ Facebook/ blog posts based on interviews.
- Visit three+ community partners; develop three-five Facebook/ blog posts highlighting community partners.
- Software: Microsoft Office, social media
- Written and oral communication skills
- Dependability, initiative and follow-through
- Willingness to work cooperatively with a wide range of people and organizations
- Ability to travel
- Valid driver’s license
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking ability
Compensation: The Environmental and Food Justice Intern will be paid $12/ hour (37.5-hour work week) for the duration of the internship.
Special Requirements: Some travel will be required. If a personal vehicle is used for travel (less than 100 miles), intern will be reimbursed mileage at a rate of $0.54 per mile. For trips longer than 100 miles roundtrip, The Conservation Fund will cover the cost of a rental car and gas. Incidentals, such as meals and lodging (if needed), will also be reimbursed.
Start Date: 06/01/2017
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com