Norfolk Southern Corporation, one of the nation’s premier rail transportation companies, is seeking applicants for Intern/Co-Op in NS Environmental Protection in Atlanta, GA. This is a developmental position with broad exposure, relate to corporate environmental compliance, emergency preparedness, and emergency response. The preferred applicant will have an upbeat attitude, is a self-starter, a good organizer, possess strong written and oral communication skills, possess strong computer skills, and is interested in regulatory compliance and emergency management in a corporate setting. A background in environmental or civil engineering is preferred.
Specific duties, among others, could include:
• Review, analyze, and comment on plans and specifications for pollution control systems, storm water control systems, and site remediations
• Monitor field construction of engineered environmental control systems
• Review, analyze, and comment on pollution control plans, spill response plans, draft environmental permits
• Trouble-shoot water quality issues to improve compliance
• Work with external hazardous materials response resources in on-line databases
• Work with databases on hazardous materials and environmental compliance
• Manage hazardous materials rail traffic statistics (incidents, traffic flows, training records, etc.)
• Develop and deliver hazardous materials training for local emergency response agencies
• Prepare official environmental incident reports
• Analyze environmental and hazardous materials incidents for trends, root causes, and to identify corrective and preventive measures
Norfolk Southern is an equal opportunity employer including veterans and disabled.