Tacoma Water has a proud tradition of operating and maintaining one of the country's oldest municipally owned water systems. We provide high-quality water to more than 300,000 direct service customers throughout Pierce and King counties, and received the AMWA Platinum Award for Utility Excellence in 2016. Our mission is to provide clean, reliable water now and in the future. The Rates and Financial Planning (R&FP) Group values high-performance, results orientation and dedication to serving the organization. If you want a challenging role driving our organization to bring new value to our customers, we are looking for you.
As Senior Program Manager, you will develop and manage strategic, enterprise-wide programs and projects for which the R&FP is in a lead role, and integrate an understanding of data and analytics into the existing and future decision-making processes of the R&FP section and Tacoma Water, specifically in the areas of risk management, performance management, and technology. You will also assist the R&FP section manager in the development and management of the section strategy and associated communication and implementation tools.
- Risk Management: Manage the risk assessment project, including internal staff and consultant support, using professional project management principles and communication techniques.
- Technology Deployment and Integration: Manage cross-functional teams and participate on others that support technology-related initiatives, particularly Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI). Engage in Mobile Workforce Management, SharePoint design and integration, and SAP integration as necessary, working in support of Asset and Information Management.
- Work with R&FP staff to deploy project management principles and practices to R&FP work.
- Work with R&FP staff to deploy performance management principles and practices to R&FP work.
- Assist R&FP manager in the development and communication of R&FP strategy, supporting goals, and mechanisms to facilitate alignment, accountability and visibility for the group.
City of Tacoma Recruitment
One of the primary goals of the Equity and Empowerment Initiative is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
- Eight years of increasing responsibility in managing projects and/or programs in support of enterprise strategic objectives;
- Four years of management, supervisory experience or demonstrated leadership ability;
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering, information systems, business management, economics, or related field;
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) or Master of Public Administration (MPA) preferred;
- PMI Program Management Professional (PgMP) Certification preferred;
- PMI Risk Management Professional (RMP) Certification preferred;
- Experience with Balanced Scorecard preferred;
- Experience with Effective Utility Management (EUM) for Water and Wastewater Utilities.
Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to apply Balanced Scorecard concepts
- Familiarity with Effective Utility Management (EUM) for Water and Wastewater Utilities
- Ability to drive an organization toward set vision
- Ability to coach
- Facilitation skills to promote conversations focused on root cause, illuminating issues, and recommendations
- Ability to bring to light differing points of view
- Ability to manage systems and continuous improvement
- Innovative, insatiably curious, keen critical thinking skills
- Flexible and creative thinker with the ability to define business tradeoffs, generate out-of-the-box solutions and manage uncertainty
- Strong analytical ability with understanding of leading and lagging measure development for strategic objectives
- Interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Excellent presentation and written communication skills; experience presenting to and dialoguing with senior management level audiences. Ability to present complicated material in a concise and effective way. PowerPoint proficiency and storytelling skills required.
- Ability to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities
- Ability to simplify and structure complex and ambiguous problems
- Project management skills for large and complex problems involving multiple, cross-functional teams. Team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible
- Ethical rigor and unyielding integrity
Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Interested individuals must apply online and meet the minimum qualifications to progress in the recruitment process. Please include your resume and letter of interest.
Applicants who have the strongest backgrounds related to the responsibilities of the position may be invited to participate in an interview. Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to successfully passing a background check.
Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, or questions regarding this job announcement, call the Human Resources office at (253) 591.5400 before 5:00 pm of the closing date of the job announcement.
Closing 3/31/2017 5:00 PM Pacific
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com