Friends of the Earth is a progressive environmental organization rooted in social justice and is part of the world’s largest federation of grassroots environmental groups. Friends of the Earth works on a wide range of domestic and international issues to resist attacks on people and the environment, including climate and energy, food and agriculture, oceans and water, economic policy and democracy reform.
Friends of the Earth is looking for an experienced Communications Director to join our Washington, DC-based team. This senior leadership position is responsible for the design and implementation of communications campaigns to aid Friends of the Earth’s defense of the environment. The individual in this role is someone who has fought and won major battles in support of a progressive cause. He or she manages a full communications team, reports to the President of Friends of the Earth and provides strategic counsel on communications strategies and tactics, measurement and reporting, increasing efficacy and impact of these communications.
Key elements of the job include:
- Development of integrated communications strategies to influence achieve public policy and advocacy goals;
- Management of a communications team that includes two press officers, a digital strategist, two designers and an associate, in addition to consultants;
- Measurement and reporting results to staff, and program funders.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Developing and executing strategic communications plans and tactics in support of organizational and programmatic/campaign objectives and priorities; and deploys the communications team accordingly.
- Providing strategic communications counsel to senior leadership by identifying opportunities to enhance external communications, using earned and paid media, social media and content creation and promotion.
- Developing and overseeing organizational messaging from brand level to specific campaigns, across platforms.
- Developing annual work plans and budgets that address organizational and issue-specific advocacy.
- Managing and mentoring Communications department staff, ensuring their professional development, performance measurement and expansion of departmental capabilities and capacity.
- Monitoring and measuring the effectiveness of communications-related activities.
Functionally, the Communications Director:
- Coordinates communications activities in conjunction with issue and program efforts, to promote FOE advocacy and thought leadership to external audiences.
- Oversees the development of organization-level communications and media collateral, including website, speeches, talking points and presentations.
- Oversees the production of A/V and graphics, and organizational print and digital materials.
- Serves as primary media contact, and fosters relationships to further coverage and visibility; acting as organizational spokesperson, as required.
- Facilitates media training sessions.
- Serves as staff liaison to Board communications committee, providing updates, responding to deliverables and proactive engagement, as appropriate.
- Manages vendor communications relationships.
- Perform other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the president.
- Has fought many pitched battles for one or more progressive causes.
- Passionate about protecting the environment and social justice; a believer in environmental protection, social justice and Friends of the Earth’s mission.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in running communications campaigns, including extensive experience producing strategic communications collateral, media relations, web and digital content.
- Minimum of 8 years experience managing a staff, including remote workers and consultants.
- A minimum of a Bachelors degree in Marketing, Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or a related field of study.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff. Also, please note that references will be requested during the screening process and final candidates will undergo writing and editing evaluations
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com