This position is located in RTC’s national office in Washington, D.C. (West End/DuPont Circle area), and is easily accessible from Metro’s Red line (Farragut North) and Blue/Orange/Silver lines (Foggy Bottom).
Reporting to the Vice President of Trail Development, the Director will lead a new and growing team of staff within RTC’s Trail Development Department dedicated to transforming cutting edge research into practice.
This position is ideal for an experienced transportation-planning professional with a background and strong interest in active transportation, product development, project management and staff management.
The Director will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, including the following:
- Support the VP of Trail Development in managing a new and growing team of staff within RTC’s trail development department. This growing team currently includes RTC’s Research Director and GIS Analyst.
- Lead and implement strategies for transforming and deploying RTC’s research into products, tools and services that support the trails and active transportation movement. This will require working with potential clients, partners and internal teams to bring new products and tools to market as well as leading ongoing releases for existing products.
- Work closely with the VP of Trail Development to chart the future growth and deployment of RTC’s active transportation products, including: GoCounter, a trail-traffic counter app; BikeAble™m, a low-stress bicycle connectivity tool; and future tools and products developed through RTC’s research program. This includes positioning the products for widespread use and developing revenue-stream models, when appropriate.
- Build a profit center around the BikeAble™ tool, including: leading an internal cross-departmental team dedicated to business development, scoping, framing key approaches, managing and mentoring internal staff, providing high-quality client management and overseeing final deliverables. The Director will also structure, lead and advise internal teams to deliver outstanding products and deliverables for clients and partners related to BikeAble™.
- Lead the methodology, design and implementation of RTC’s trail count and survey programs in collaboration with RTC’s Trail Development team.
- Represent RTC in industry-group conferences, professional associations and other public venues to promote our tools, products and services.
- Support the VP of Trail Development in managing other key trail development projects as necessary.
This position is responsible for managing a new and growing team of staff within RTC’s Trail Development team. The team currently includes RTC’s Research Director and GIS Analyst.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and qualifications
- MS Urban Planning [AICP a plus] or BS/MS Civil Engineer [P.E. a plus]
- At least four years of transportation planning/engineering
- Mastery of transportation and/or active transportation data sets
- Experience with and passion for: leading and managing internal teams; coaching and leading staff to ensure projects are completed on time, within budget and at a high level of quality
- Command of quantitative and qualitative techniques, research design and data analysis related to transportation planning and active transportation planning
- Experience leading technical research and implementing programs and projects in the field of active transportation
- Experience working with external clients to define customized scopes of work, project deliverables, budgets and schedules, and contract administration, preferably in the field of transportation or active transportation planning
- Demonstrated experience with effective project management techniques
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Advanced understanding of GIS programs and how they function
- Experience with business development and product development, including outreach and engaging with future partners and clients (preferable)
- Knowledge and passion for trails, bicycle and pedestrian design standards, and policies
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and foster positive working relationships with internal staff as well as external partners, funders and clients
- Valid driver's license
Normal office setting with low to moderate noise level. This position is located in Washington, D.C. The schedule is full-time, 40 hours per week, 20–35 percent travel.
RTC reserves the right to revise, change or reclassify this job description at any time in accordance with our business needs. This job description is by no means an implied contract.
EOE. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com