SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
The Climate Communications & Outreach Manager focuses on implementing communications strategies and effective messaging to elevate the public discussion on climate change. The Manager creates support for climate action among key audiences, with a specific emphasis on expanding earned media coverage on climate change impacts and solutions and OEC-supported climate policies.
This position works in collaboration with OEC’s Climate Program Director and Communications Director, as well as Renew Oregon’s Communications Director, to create and implement programmatic and communications-specific campaigns, that include producing written content, developing and placing messaging in target outlets, cultivating new audiences, and driving OEC’s digital strategy on climate change.
This position is part of OEC’s “marcom” team and the Renew Oregon’s core communications team.
This is a responsible position in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment. We are looking for someone who is self-motivated, organized, a fast and excellent writer, and an outstanding communicator. S/he should enjoy working with diverse people.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
• Working with marketing/communications (marcom) team, helps develop and execute a climate media and communications plan
• Working closely with OEC’s communications director, proactively seeks out and secures earned media coverage in target areas
• Contributes creative and engaging content to climate-related social media communications (project website, blog, editorials, opinions pieces, etc.), ensuring consistency with organizational message and voice
• Produces content for print and digital communications, including climate messaging, fact sheets, public materials, rapid response to opposition messaging, opinion pieces, blog posts and action alert text; regularly updates climate content on website
• Working with climate program director, develops and implements an action-oriented engagement strategy to build public demand for climate action
• Identifies speaking and engagement opportunities with potential partner organizations within target audiences
• Engages with diverse communities through public speaking, tabling and community engagement
• Assists with list building, helping build Oregon’s climate movement through consistent and tracked contact generation
• Working with marcom team, develops culturally appropriate outreach materials for target audiences
• Helps identify, cultivate and train new spokespeople
• Represents OEC at public and community events
• Attends climate campaign strategy sessions as needed
• Tracks and integrates best practices on climate messaging
• Three years related experience with at least two years communications experience (candidates with significantly more experience are encouraged to apply).
• A gift for writing and speaking in a clear and compelling fashion
• Experience developing and implementing social marketing and earned media strategies
• Experience working with diverse organizations and communities
• Strong organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects without losing sight of the “big picture” • Self-motivation and initiative; proven ability to work collaboratively in a dynamic team environment
• A passion for community engagement and the environment
• Expertise in website management
• Experience working in a non-profit setting with a mission-driven staff and board
• Exposure to public policy development and advocacy
• Fluency in Spanish or another language
COMPENSATION AND AMENITIES
Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks of paid vacation annually, and generous health insurance for employee and family.
Full-time (open to discussing 80% time if interested)
Founded in 1968, OEC is a non-profit, non-partisan, statewide organization governed by a board of directors from throughout Oregon. Our mission is to advance innovative, collaborative and equitable solutions to Oregon’s environmental challenges for today and future generations. OEC advocates for impactful, lasting solutions that get at the source of Oregon’s environmental problems and have real benefits for people’s health and quality of life. These challenges include toxic chemicals in our environment, water pollution and scarcity, and climate change. We find common ground with a diverse group of stakeholders to create collaborative solutions that support social equity and a sustainable economy. To learn more about OEC’s commitment to and progress on justice, equity, diversity and inclusion, see our Partners and Diversity webpage and Social Equity and Environment blog.
OEC offers a collaborative, team-oriented, family-friendly workplace that treats employees as the responsible professionals they are. Hours are flexible, benefits are generous, and laughter is frequent. For several years running, we have been the #1 non-profit to work for in our category in Oregon Business magazine’s “Best Nonprofits to Work For” list. You will learn a lot, laugh a lot, and feel great about helping Oregon communities become better, healthier places to live.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com