Support GIS Team Lead by providing data collection, maps and figures for clients while supporting daily GIS field collection and operations with the highest level of customer service. Understanding, collecting, and constructing various graphic images for client reports. Responsibility for collecting and reporting data from a variety of equipment and sources and makes recommendations to GIS Team Lead.
Position may require an approximate 2.5 year field commitment at Umatilla Chemical Depot in Northeastern Oregon. Limited overnight travel to satellite offices and client locations may be required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Collects data and develops maps, diagrams, figures, and shape files in support of field work, project plans, and project reporting using data from a variety of sources.
- Works with project managers and field staff to interpret aerial imagery, engineering schematics, GPS data, notes, sketches, technical guides, and vendor information.
- Supports field staff by managing local inventory of GPS units, troubleshooting GPS issues, and preparing and post-processing GPS data. Coordinates and oversees shipping and receiving functions.
- Creating graphic data to support the information found by equipment and Bay West employees to convey to the client a detailed visual of records found at their site, includes knowledge and or oversized plotting capabilities.
- Performs GIS project management, database creation/maintenance, and metadata documentation.
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Education, Training, Knowledge & Experience:
- B.S. or B.A. degree in GIS, Environmental Science, or related field; or equivalent experience
- Conscientiousness concerning the accuracy, appropriateness, and timeliness of results
- Strong professional, organizational, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to read and understand maps, schematic drawings, diagrams, and instruction manuals
- Knowledge of coordinate geometry and GPS data collection
- Significant familiarity with cartographic methods and map projections
- Flexible working style, self-initiative, self-motivation and a willingness to work with teams to meet clients' needs and project schedules
- Strong working knowledge and experience with various ArcGIS extensions & Esri's 10.X Suite (3D Analyst, Spatial Analyst, etc.)
- Experience working with ArcGIS for Server and publishing map services
- Experience working with and maintaining geodatabases, including ArcSDE
- GIS scripting/programming skills (VB.net, VBA, HTML, Java, Python, etc.)
- Functional knowledge of AutoCAD Map 3D 2012
- Familiarity working with Trimble's GeoXH sub-meter GPS units, Trimble's Pathfinder Office software, and TerraSync software
- 40-Hour HAZWOPER Training
Essential Physical & Intellectual requirements:
- Frequent standing, walking, lifting, carrying, bending, and grasping
- Work environment can include high heat, high humidity, and extreme cold
- Frequently lifts up to 25 pounds; occasionally lifts up to 50 pounds
- Understanding and operating ArcGIS, AutoCAD, Surfer, Trimble Pathfinder Office Software, and TerraSync software
- Outstanding customer service and communication (both written and verbal) skills
- Ability to be self-directed and work independently, as well as a team-player
- Detail-oriented and highly organized, ethical
- Possesses analytical problem solving skills
- Strong time management skills