Provide environmental scientific support for our rapidly growing siting, licensing, permitting, and compliance practice. As a Staff Biologist based in our Santa Ana office you will have the opportunity to play a role in all stages of siting and permitting projects in the industrial and energy sectors, including oil & gas pipelines, renewable energy, electric transmission lines and power plant facilities. Working with other members of our team, you’ll have an opportunity for a qualified individual to participate on field teams supporting projects related to the development and operation of energy projects located throughout Southern, CA. In this junior-level position, you will serve as a key team member working with scientists, engineers, project managers, and other project staff. If you’re up for the challenge, we’ve been looking for someone just like you. Join our team and helps lay the foundation for human progress.
Additional information for Staff Biologist:
• Travel to project locations in Southern CA to perform biological field surveys, with an emphasis on wetlands delineation, threatened and endangered species surveys, and data collection.
• Experience contributing to environmental impact evaluations, siting reports, and environmental permit applications, including field surveys and reporting, resource and impact evaluations, preparation of NEPA/CEQA analysis and documentation, Section 7 ESA Consultation, and California Fish and Game Code Section 2081 and 2080.1 permitting.
• Experience conducting wetland delineations and contributing to environmental permitting of energy facilities and/or pipelines in the western United States including: USACE 404 wetland permitting, California Department of Fish and Wildlife 1600 Agreements and CESA permitting, RWQCB 401 certifications, and other environmental permitting.
• Demonstrated technical competence and project experience in natural resource fields applicable to commercial (primarily conventional or renewable energy generation/transmission) siting and licensing or environmental permitting of other infrastructure projects.
• Experience performing various biological field surveys for planning and construction.
• Experience monitoring construction activities for compliance with biological resource permits.
The minimum qualifications for this position are:• Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Ecology, or similar discipline
• 1-2 years environmental consulting experience.
• Experience with California regulatory environment and permitting processes.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Be a self-starter and team-oriented.
• Possess California-specific biology experience.
• Ability to perform work in rugged terrain and unfavorable weather.
• Highly organized.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:• Master’s Degree in Biology, Ecology, or similar discipline
• 3-5 yrs of experience in the siting and licensing field in California, including experience conducting field work with a focus on wetland delineations.
• Established relationships with local, state, and federal permitting agencies. CEQA/NEPA experience. Possession of a state (Scientific Collecting/MOU) or federal permit [10(a)1(A)] for listed species a plus.
• Experience with California Multiple Species Habitat Conservation Plan consistency is a plus.
• Experience using GPS technology, Arc GIS, conducting wetland delineation surveys, protected species surveys, and habitat assessments.
• Strong field skills and familiarity with major environmental regulations are important.
At CH2M, the greatest challenges provide the biggest rewards. Each day, your drive and creative ideas will be providing solutions that help build a better tomorrow. Whether it is the pride that comes with accomplishment, personal growth or making a difference in the world, you will discover true success in a career that brings out the best in you at CH2M. Ready? Let’s get to work. Developing People through Challenging Projects CH2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
• CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa, etc) to fill this position
CH2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com