As a Research Scientist, the selected individual will oversee and conduct environmental characterization and remediation projects. Work will be for our federal government clients. Examples of responsibilities based on current or anticipated projects include:
- Develop and follow procedures to conduct field activities, and generate defensible technical data.
- Oversee others in extracting information from existing databases, through literature reviews, and/or field reports, and compile information (e.g., data tables, figures, graphs) for data interpretation.
- Acts as an effective field team leader and task manager responsible for coordinating, conducting, and overseeing environmental field activities (e.g., collect environmental samples, install/operate remediation systems, operate construction equipment, oversee subcontractors, enforce health and safety procedures) to investigate and remediate contamination in soil, groundwater, surface water, and/or soil-gas.
- Thoroughly identifies and acquires all materials, equipment, and other resources to effectively implement the required field scope of work at the project site.
- Communicate and coordinate field activities with field teams (made up of internal Battelle staff and subcontractors), project managers, and client representatives.
- Analyze and interpret data collected and write various reports which may include environmental sampling plans, work plans, health and safety plans, groundwater monitoring reports, site assessment reports, well completion/abandonment reports, evaluations of remediation concepts, and proposals related to field projects.
- Interacts directly with clients during technical meetings, conference calls, and while in the field conducting work.
- Maintains accountability for all on-site activities, including but not limited to staff health and safety, field records, sample custody, electronic data, and safety observations.
- Oversees, mentors, and trains lower-level staff.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL DEMONSTRATE:
- Experience leading and coordinating field efforts that consist of at least 3 person teams or more.
- Experience with soil, groundwater, surface water, and/or soil-gas contamination investigation and remediation projects including techniques and equipment utilized on such projects.
- Ability to trouble-shoot mechanical and electrical problems with equipment that occur in the field.
- Ingenuity, creativity, and resourcefulness, including the application of innovative technical principles and concepts.
- Independent thought and ability to identify and resolve problems associated with the development and implementation of complex field projects and programs.
- Experience writing environmental sampling plans, work plans, health and safety plans, groundwater monitoring reports, site assessment reports, well completion/abandonment reports, evaluations of remediation concepts, and/or proposals related to field projects.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Positive attitude and eagerness to take on new and technically challenging tasks.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental or Chemical Engineering, Environmental Science, or Geology.
- 5 to 8 years experience working in a field setting including serving as the field team leader on projects that include preparing, conducting, and documenting field test and field work.
- Training: 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER and current 8-hour annual refresher certification; 8-hour OSHA supervisor certification; current adult cardio pulmonary resuscitation, standard first aid, and automated external defibrillator certification; 30-hour OSHA construction safety certification or EM385-1-1 certification; and Army Corps of Engineers construction quality control manager certification.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work 100% of time in a field environment on military installations within the southern California footprint (i.e., San Diego, California in particular). Travel to out-of-state project locations will be required.
- Strong computer skills and strong knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint; SharePoint; and Adobe Acrobat.
- Have a dependable mode of transportation to the field project site everyday.
- Must be a United States citizen or permanent resident.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Graduate degree in Environmental or Chemical Engineering/Environmental Science/Geology or related field with 5 years of experience.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com