The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
The League of Conservation Voters is seeking an experienced, strategic communications professional to serve as National Press Secretary. As the leading accountability and political environmental group, the National Press Secretary will position LCV and our issues at the forefront of the political debate, major legislative initiatives and some of the most important races in the country. This position will work with LCV’s campaigns, legislative and community engagement teams to develop a communications strategy and generate earned media for LCV and LCV Education Fund on priority issues and campaigns.
• Work with LCV’s Campaigns, Legislative and Community & Civic Engagement departments to develop a communications strategy and generate earned media for LCV and our sister organization LCV Education Fund on priority issues and campaigns.
• Cultivate and maintain relationships with key political and policy reporters.
• Serve as organization’s on-the-record spokesperson.
• Organize press events and speaking opportunities.
• Produce and distribute written materials, including press releases, op-eds, and memos.
• Seek out strategic opportunities to aggressively engage in rapid response
• Participates actively in applying a racial justice lens to all LCV communications.
• Coordinate communications activities with state LCVs and allies.
• Additional communications-related responsibilities as assigned.
• Work experience: 3-5 years experience in media relations; campaign and/or government experience preferred.
• Skills: Demonstrated experience and success with pitching media; strong written and verbal communication skills; proven entrepreneurial abilities, creativity, and initiative; ability to work well in a fast-paced environment; ability to multi-task without sacrificing quality of work; understanding of environmental issues and their potential to engage the public.
• Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
• Conditions: Ability to work overtime with little notice; able to work hours exceeding stated office hours to get the job done; ability and willingness to travel. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
Closes Friday, March 10, 2017.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com