Context: Under general supervision of the assigned supervisor, working alongside an assigned day to day coordinator, the Apprentice will work in some combination of the following areas to contribute toward a specific campaign goal : conduct research, participate in campaign assignments within assigned capacities, such as organizing; assist in carrying out campaign strategies internally and externally, and work with volunteers, citizens, other organizations, the media and other club staff to advance campaign strategies.
Scope & Limitations: The apprentice position is for an individual who within the last 24 months (from appointment date) has graduated from a four year degree (BA, B.S.) or a graduate level program, and or demonstrates an equitable level of experience and/or combination of education and experience. The incumbent may only hold this apprenticeship, or any combination of apprenticeships, for up to 6 months.
- Researches and prepares reports, executive summaries, presentations and/or online content for a variety of audiences.
- Participates (as part of a team) in planning and carrying out specific campaign strategies such as public education, legislative initiatives, political programs, and/or grassroots organizing.
- Assists in providing guidance, training, and information to volunteers, chapters, groups, elected officials and the general public.
- Assists in the formulation of grassroots campaign and coalition activities in support of Sierra Club priorities at the local, state, federal or global level.
- Exchanges information, coordinates activities, and works with other Sierra Club staff and volunteers, other volunteer organizations, and other collaborative entities.
- Assists in scheduling and facilitating meetings, as well as preparing agendas and materials as needed.
- Works independently on specific assigned projects within the context of the campaign priorities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Education required:
- A four year degree or a graduate degree in Environmental Science or Studies, Political Science, Communications or a related field within the last 24 months, or a relevant combination of experience and education.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work well across difference, facilitating focused conversations with audiences including staff, volunteers and the public.
- Demonstrated research and analytical skills with a track record of translating findings into compelling products for a variety of audiences.
- Proficient computer skills.
The Apprenticeship Program covers the cost of the Apprentice moving to the location if needed. 2017 placement locations are in Oakland (CA), Asheville (NC), Las Vegas (NV), Hamptons-Roads (VA), Durham (NC) and Madison (WI).
If you are interested in multiple positions, please submit only one application and note the ranking of your preferred placement in your essay:
Apprentice, Ready for 100 in Oakland, CA
Apprentice, Ready for 100 in Asheville, NC
Apprentice, Beyond Coal Campaign in Madison, WI
Apprentice, Beyond Coal Campaign in Las Vegas, NV
Apprentice, Beyond Coal Campaign in Hampton Roads, VA
Apprentice, Beyond Coal Campaign in Durham, NC
For complete instructions on how to apply, please visit this link
Apply by March 17.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com