IUCN, the International Union for Conservation of Nature, is a membership Union uniquely composed of both government and civil society organisations. It provides public, private and non-governmental organisations with the knowledge and tools that enable human progress, economic development and nature conservation to take place together.
IUCN and the FATA Secretariat are implementing the project Water Governance FATA (Environmental Cell) with the financial assistance of Swiss Agency for Development & Cooperation (SDC).
Consisting of seven administrative Agencies and six smaller Frontier Regions, the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) is situated between the latitudes of 31° and 35° North, and the longitudes of 69° 15' and 71° 50' East. It spans over an approximate area of 27,220 km2. It shares its boundaries with Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly NWFP) to the east, Balochistan to its south and Afghanistan to its west.
The project “Water Governance in FATA (Environment Cell)” is designed to address three major areas and illustrated as under:
• Ecologically Sustainable Development Planning – Improving the current development process by adopting the generic planning process covering aspects of project identification, formulation, and appraisal and at the same time addressing major ecological challenges being faced in sectors related to natural resources with a special focus on ecological aspects of water governance. The Cell will be housed in P&D Department and work in partnership with sectors related to natural resources having focus on ecological aspects of water governance.
• Ecological Challenges of Water Governance - Conduct studies and research to characterize and classify the major river basins in terms of surface cover, land use, net primary productivity of range and forests, carrying capacity of rangelands, soil erosion, and ecological challenges focussing on sub-basins of FATA. Sharing of outputs with all the relevant partners so that the output becomes part of the development planning process. The river basins and sub-basins delineated by the Water Governance Programme Phase-I will be used in this study and collaboration will be developed for ecological classification.
• Collaboration and Partnership: Work in close collaboration with the forthcoming “Water Governance Programme for FATA” and with active partnership with the institutions and organizations of various Agencies and Frontier Regions (public- and private sectors, civil society and local organizations).JOB DESCRIPTION
Under the overall supervision of Chief Economist, FATA P&DD, coordinating with Team Leader, Environment Cell and in close collaboration with concern directorates of FATA, advisors/consultants for other components, the Natural Resource Management Specialist will be responsible for following activities:
Develop Capacity of the FATA directorates and line departments to design/develop green sector/NRM related projects ensuring environmental sustainability through sound planning and implementation.SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
1. Provide Technical support to concerned departments in designing, planning and implementing natural resource based projects and programmes in FATA.
2. Provide technical assistance to FATA directorates and partners in NRM strategies and plans.
3. Identify and establish link between Ecological sustainability/conservation/in NRM for sustainable livelihood in FATA.
4. Working with and managing external consultants in NRM related activities in FATA.
5. Reviews of PC 1 related to NRM sector and provide technical assistance to concerned line directorates of FATA Secretariat for making ecologically sustainable interventions.
6. To prepare periodic NRM reports in order to adhere to FATA requirements and information sharing with Team Leader IUCN and regular reporting to Chief Economist, FATA P&DD.
7. To document and report NRM related best practices in order to adhere to FATA NRM.
8. Any other relevant tasks as required and assigned by your line managers/supervisor(s).REQUIREMENTS
• A Ph. D degree holder with 7 years minimum or Master’s degree holder in Forestry/Agriculture/NRM related discipline.
• 10 years’ work experience in NRM related project in public and private sector.
• Strong working experience with Public and Private sector working for NRM activities.
• Sound understanding of NRM related issues of FATA.
• Project planning, design and management of NRM projects.
• Working experience with Government for planning and Development of Green Sector Projects and Programme.
• Strong skill in MS ffice, Excel, Word processing and Power Point etc.
• Excellent ability to prepare technical reports & documents.
• Well versed in written and spoken English/Urdu and local language.
Fixed-term (12 months with possibility of renewal)
Closing date: 28 November
2016. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST).
NOTE: There is a similar job open until Nov 28: Environment Specialist, Water Governance in FATA (Environment Cell)- Vacancy #: 1415