One or more positions may be filled.
Duties At the entry level of this position, you will:
- Coordinate budget matters with budget staff. Evaluate the impact of budget decisions on programs and management. Prepare budget estimates and justification statements, status of funds reports, and other budget information. Assess trends in the area of travel, supplies, and equipment services costs to determine the reasonableness of costs. Exercise responsibility for approving purchases for amounts not to exceed delegated amount. Execute contract management responsibilities for service contracts and other designated procurement vehicles. Advise matters relating to division financial resources management, interpret and explain how policies and procedures in these areas affect management and program operation activities, and recommends solutions to problems.
- As liaison ensures that internal/external communications are effective, and provides timely follow up of requests for action or information. Maintain an awareness of priority programs and of all problems and issues which are of importance. Ensure that actions taken are consistent with policies and program guidance. Coordinate with officials when important precedents are anticipated or where there is national public interest in the issues or outcome. Serve as the initial source of information between the Division Director (DD)/ Deputy Division Director (DDD) and branches on the status of critically sensitive issues, problems and projects which affect overall program accomplishments.
- Exercise exclusive control over the Deputy Directors (DD's) appointments, with complete authority for commitments of time. Screen all calls and visitors, answering most questions and completing most business involving established policy or routine matters without referring people to the (DD). In the absence of the DD, prepares summaries of important transactions which have occurred during his/her absence.
- Analyze current or projected EPA programs to evaluate their actual or potential effectiveness in achieving Agency objectives. Perform day-to-day technical/ administrative support operations in the development and interpretation of rules, regulations, policies, and standards.
- Researching and preparing background materials for technical/administrative hearings, meetings, conferences, and workshops and for providing assistance to facilitate collaborative experimentation and education programs. In this capacity, the incumbent attends such meetings as part of their professional development and growth, to keep abreast of major initiatives to key EPA issues both within outside the Agency.
When entering a Federal job at a grade level lower than the highest promotion potential level, you may be promoted to more complex duties and work more independently, as your career progresses.
Closes Thursday 12/1/2016
Salary Range $64,650 to $84,044/yr. Series & Grade GS-0343-11. Promotion Potential GS-13.
About U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
The mission of EPA is to protect human health and the environment.