The Watershed Agricultural Council, a non profit organization working to protect the NYC Watershed while supporting farm and forest land uses, is seeking two (2) Nutrient Management Specialists to be responsible for the collection of data required for the development and implementation of comprehensive nutrient management plans within the West of Hudson (WoH) Catskill/Delaware Watershed region of the New York City drinking water supply.
The Nutrient Management Specialists will supervise the collection of data required for the development and implementation of comprehensive nutrient management plans. They will work one on one with participating farmers to develop nutrient management plans.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree with course work in field crops and one year of relevant experience preferred.
• Must have or acquire New York/Northeast Certified Crop Advisor Certification and maintain Certified Education Units (CEUs) to keep current.
• Must have a valid and current New York State driver’s license.
• Must have knowledge of field crop production, nutrient management, and integrated pest management.
• Must have knowledge of agriculture.
• Must have strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills.
• Must have knowledge of computer use, experience with nutrient management planning software and/or Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software desirable.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participate in a coordinated team consisting of planners and farm participants to complete and implement nutrient management plans throughout the watershed.
• Operate WAC program initiatives relating to nutrient management
• Provide direct supervision to Nutrient Management temporary employees
• Supervise the collection of soil samples from fields in an efficient and organized manner and completing associated paperwork in a timely fashion.
• Interpret soil and manure analysis for nutrient management decisions.
• Prepare nutrient management plans.
• Maintain in good condition any equipment associated with the position.
• Organize and prioritize schedule based on communication with supervisor.
• Locate specific areas from aerial photos.
• Provide technical support for the Nutrient Management Sub Committee of WAC
• Review records and forms in completion of annual Nutrient Management Credit
• Provide technical function(s) in Precision Feed Management (PFM) program.
• Works in an interagency team setting to develop comprehensive nutrient management plans.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Works under the direct supervision of the Nutrient Management/Precision Feed Management Coordinator.