The Regional Environmental Leader position is responsible for driving environmental excellence in Hexion’s Northwest region by implementing and maintaining the strategic direction for a comprehensive world-class Environmental Program by providing tactical environmental compliance support to the sites. The position reports into the Center of Excellence for Environmental within the EHS team and will provide direction and leadership in positioning their assigned sites as excellent corporate citizens and environmentally responsible operations. The person plays an important role in planning and implementing strategies, policies, standards, and driving compliance and management initiatives within the region. The person applies extensive and advanced technical expertise and related knowledge to resolve complex environmental compliance issues and provides innovative conventional or unconventional solutions. The person will apply in-depth knowledge of US Federal and multiple State regulations, and applicable regulatory requirements in the region for effective implementation of environmental programs and projects. The person must have ability to communicate effectively with key internal partners as well as with external partners such as consultants and regulatory agencies. The position serves as support to site and commercial management in company planning concerning existing, new or projected manufacturing operations, research and development activities and property transfers.
Job Responsibilities Environmental Programs Operation
Auditing and Management Systems
- Seeks continuous improvement of environmental programs within region, including environmental aspects, compliance risk assessments and due diligence efforts, and mitigation or elimination of business risks.
- Develops, leads and implements as warranted environmental management standards and performance improvement initiatives.
- Supports pollution prevention, reduction efforts in support of organization’s sustainability programs and goals.
- Identifies and deploys innovative technologies and best practices across organization.
- Reviews reporting and analysis on compliance program effectiveness and metrics.
- Manages investigations related to potential environmental incidents.
Leadership and Capability Building
- Plans, leads and participates in compliance assessments and management system audits and develops resolution of findings through partnership with regional and divisional site management teams.
- Provides internal support for planning, developing and implementing Responsible Care and ISO 14001 Management systems, their inter-relationships with the company management standards, and subsequent assessments of certification process.
- Acts as a business partner to support senior operations and regional leadership as well as prioritizes environmental issues in reference to overall organization goals and objectives.
- Performs independently and exercises mature judgment in determining regulatory, technical and operational objectives of assignments/projects derived from prioritized environmental aspects.
- Provides expertise by interfacing between senior leadership and regional site teams to assure flawless execution of projects – supporting and contributing to overall organizational strategy.
Competencies Core Competency: Achieves Business Results
Core Competency: Strategic Focus & Direction
- Translates Environmental goals and objectives into prioritized and actionable plans utilizing strong project management skills.
- Demonstrates good technical judgment incorporating risk management to create sustainable solutions.
- Develops unconventional solutions to complex problems, simplifies into actionable items. Establishes clear, and sound course of action for others to achieve critical business objectives ensuring ongoing follow-up.
Core Competency: Trust & Teamwork
- Builds independent relationships/rapports with all regional sectors and divisions, external/internal customers, suppliers, within trade/industry groups, and governmental agencies and officials.
- Develops and drives required project plans and activities that meet critical business goals and business sustainability.
- Inspires and guides others to action consistent with Company’s Vision and Mission.
- Solves complex problems creatively with high degree of ingenuity and innovativeness.
Core Competency: Personal Leadership
- Collaborates and integrates business operation efforts among regions and divisions. Represents the organization as the prime technical contact on contracts and projects.
- Places high value on communication, actively informing up, down, and laterally throughout organization.
- Provides insightful perspective to others seeking assistance by working effectively in partnership with divisions, regions and site teams.
- Serves as prime consultant and uses influence positively and constructively to initiate actions, gain clear understanding and commitment.
- Serves as a role model for providing quality and swift resolutions to operational environmental issues.
- Secure and leverage senior leadership commitment and support for integrating environmentally sustainable development into core processes and decision making.
- Manages change effectively, and champions continuous improvement regionally at region, division, sector and site levels.
- Earns and maintains the trust of colleagues, co-workers, and regional site teams.
- Develops credibility across organization and with division, region, sector and site teams.
- Demonstrate a personal safety mindset.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or related technical field. Master’s degree is desired.
- Ten years or more of broad based experience in Environmental Programs including but not limited to regulatory compliance, process, project management in regulated industries, preferably in chemical manufacturing.
- Proficiency in air regulations, calculations, and compliance
- Strong project management and leadership skills, and a self-starter
- Strong ability to prioritize, balance and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, adjust to changing priorities and make decisions with speed and accuracy based on available information.
- Excellent oral and written communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to build consensus and engage site teams for execution of environmental programs
- Strong interpersonal skills, team player, capable of working within diverse, cross-functional, internal and external teams with ability to effectively influence others to action.
- Ability to collaborate in a regional organization, communicate effectively across mediums, audiences and situations.
- Unquestioned ethics and integrity including the ability to work on confidential matters.
- Proven experience consulting and troubleshooting to allow development of sound resolution of issues.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization (up, down, laterally).
- Strong Computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Excellent organizational skills. Demonstrated attention to detail, project follow-through, and ability to meet targets and objectives both timely and with high quality.
Ability to travel approximately 35-40% the time to other company operations regionally such as chemical manufacturing sites, distribution centers, and corporate offices for strategic and tactical assistance, audits, assessments, meetings, research, training or other purposes.
Other We are an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, minority status, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any characteristic protected by law.
In order to be considered for this position candidates are required to submit an application for employment through our career site, be at least 18 years of age, willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
Candidates are required to have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.
If currently an employee of the Company, you must have current satisfactory work performance and in most cases, have been in your current role 18 months.
Disclaimer: We are not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms/employment agencies for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee about this position. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee of the Company via email, the Internet or in any other form and/or method without a valid written search firm agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of the Company; no fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by the Company as a result of the unsolicited referral or through other means.
Percent of Travel 35-40%