Environmental Advocates of New York seeks applicants for the position of Air & Energy Program Associate. The Program Associate is a member of Environmental Advocates’ team that focuses on clean air, renewable energy, and climate change issues.
Environmental Advocates has served as the state’s government watchdog in Albany for more than 45 years. We are a nonprofit organization that advances the cause of environmental protection and we seek candidates who are highly motivated to change public policy and build the movement for sustainability and conservation. Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience, excellent health benefits, retirement savings including an employer contribution, and a vibrant, fast-paced work environment.
Environmental Advocates is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer.Application Deadline:
Applications will be received through October 14, 2016
To apply please send a cover letter, resume, references and a writing sample to:
Air and Energy, Program Director
Environmental Advocates of New York
353 Hamilton Street
Albany, NY 12210
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgGeneral Duties
The Air & Energy Program Associate is a full-time position that reports to the Program Director. The Associate participates in the advocacy efforts around the inter-related issues of climate change, air emissions/air quality, and energy policy. This includes, but is not limited to, lobbying on and engaging the public in our efforts to protect existing standards and promote new policies to improve air quality. The Associate will also take a lead role in grass-roots organizing and advocacy on what we consider the most pressing issue of our time: climate change.
The Air & Energy Program Associate should have a broad knowledge of environmental issues with a particular interest and knowledge of the policies and politics related to climate change, air emissions/air quality, and energy. Experience in organizing and/or issue-based campaigning is a tremendous plus.Specific ResponsibilitiesAdvocacy
- Engage local, state and federal elected officials on clean air, energy and climate change policies;
- Conduct public outreach and be able to build and lead effective coalitions;
- Coordinate with community-based organizations across to the state;
- Serve as an advocate and spokesperson before the New York State Legislature;
- Serve as a public spokesperson before the general public and the media;
- Work with other program staff to develop strategies for achieving the organization’s policy goals;
- Conduct analysis of specific regulations, legislation, the state budget and other policies as needed; and
- Work with the communications staff to develop and execute a communications strategy that includes electronic and web-based communications, media releases, and the development of other outreach materials.
- Assist with the creation of goals for programs and projects including intermediate objectives and timelines for achieving them;
- Stay up-to-date on developments that influence programs and projects;
- Identify funding opportunities, develop grant proposals and foundation reports, and maintain relationships with donors; and,
- Track legislation before the New York State Legislature.
- At least two years of experience in advocacy, community organizing, policy analysis, and/or government relations;
- A Bachelor’s degree;
- Ability to juggle competing priorities, manage multiple projects, and work in a team environment;
- Excellent verbal and writing skills;
- Strong interest in public policy and politics; and,
- Licensed driver with a willingness to travel as needed.