The role of this position is to provide environmental management support for the fly ash product line as well as manage ongoing remediation obligations. This includes the development, optimization and implementation of an effective and sustainable environmental performance program in these areas. The person in this role is expected to lead and a build a cooperative work environment with all levels of management for all environmental related issues through interaction with other company functions. The Senior Manager must participate in a positive team environment and motivate personnel toward achieving the company’s environmental/business objectives while acting as a role model on all safety behaviour and policy compliance.
- Demonstrates a commitment to communicating, improving and adhering to safety policies in all work environments and areas.
- Provide leadership and manage the environmental activities covered by this role.
- Lead and coordinate with business unit managers to set and prioritize environmental goals and objectives, resolve issues and identify environmental improvement opportunities for the company.
- Manage the implementation of environmental policies and practices at the assigned facilities to ensure full regulatory compliance. This includes compliance with the local permit requirements (sampling, inspections, reporting, and renewals) that may include contractor compliance and pollution prevention activities.
- Develop, assess and communicate environmental related risk assessments through various risk management tools.
- In collaboration with the Senior Compliance Manger, identify and assess the financial or operational impact of environmental laws and regulation on LafargeHolcim´s business for senior management including recommended policies and risk mitigation strategies.
- Facilitate environmental auditing processes and ensure effective implementation of the findings related to this activity.
- Coordinate and ensure that all environmental monitoring and recordkeeping occurs at each of the assigned locations
- Provide environmental training to on-site employees and contractors of the assigned facilities to ensure that they recognize their own contribution to improved environmental performance.
- Ensure that environmental documentation for approval and license/permit applications for new or existing operations are completed accurately, completely and on time.
- Participate in negotiations with state agency heads, regulatory attorneys, planning councils, and federal staff on matters of environmental compliance, permitting and enforcement in the applicable subject areas as well as provide expert witness testimony in court cases brought against the company in environmental areas.
- .Assist in inspections of assigned facilities by any regulating entity and work with sites to demonstrate compliance.
- Assist operations in identifying and managing capital projects for site environmental upgrades, and develop a detailed risk analysis to manage environmental liability on acquisition and divestment.
- Assist the government affairs team in state and national trade association engagement (environmental scope) with two-way communication, lead with respect to environmental visibility and emerging issues, coordinating site/terminal business development opportunities with government affairs team.Provide leadership as a team member in the implementation of government affairs, safety and CSR related programs.
- Where applicable, coordinate with Communication and Legal departments, and interact with community members regarding the plant’s environmental aspects and ensure that an effective local Community Advisory Committee is in place.
RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHER JOBS
The Senior Manager – Fly Ash & Remediation will work closely withpeers in the Environmental and Public Affairs organization and in close coordination with Operational Managers – Corporate and facility – in manufacturing and logistics.
The Senior Manager – Fly Ash & Remediation will work closely with the Sustainability and Government Affairs Director and assist with government affairs and CSR efforts at the corporate level and provide coaching/leadership with respect to the PAC and government affairs and CSR priorities.
The Senior Manager – Fly Ash & Remediation will liaise with the Legal department on environmental related matters that may require legal counsel.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Required Education: Bachelor's/University Degree
Additional Education Preferred: Master's/Graduate Degree
Preferred field of study: Engineering or related technical discipline.
Required Work Experience: 7-10 years
Travel Requirements: 60%
Computer and Software Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of software.
Other: Project Management software
- Excellent written and verbal (formal and informal; negotiation; coaching) communication skills and presentation skills
- Ability to interact effectively and work in a cooperative manner with a range of individuals at all levels and within all functions and to effectively build strong teams
- Excellent people-development skills
- Effective and demonstrated interpersonal and leadership skills
- High energy level and demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills, and the ability to balance multiple tasks with close attention to detail