NRDC is seeking a Program Assistant to work with the Marine Mammal Protection and Southern California Ecosystems projects in our Santa Monica office. The Marine Mammal Protection project currently focuses on protecting marine mammals and their habitat, defending marine mammals from ocean noise (Navy sonar, commercial shipping, and seismic exploration from offshore oil and gas development), reducing fisheries bycatch, and stopping the Pebble Mine. The Southern California Ecosystems project focuses on wildlife preservation, parkland protection, and sustainable land use planning.
This position will provide administrative support to a team of six attorneys, policy analysts and scientists in the Marine Mammal Protection and Southern California Ecosystems projects, which are a part of NRDC’s Land & Wildlife Program. Candidates must have excellent problem-solving skills and be able to handle a variety of administrative tasks including calendar, meeting, and event coordination; travel arrangements; expense processing and reporting; and telephone coverage, among other duties. Strong research and writing skills are also desirable, as previous Program Assistants have had the opportunity to prepare a variety of substantive documents under the supervision of project staff. Experience blogging, public speaking, and working with grassroots organizations is a plus. Experience assisting with legal filings – or willingness to learn – is also a plus.
- Provide day-to-day administrative support to staff, including managing calendars and coordinating with internal and external parties to schedule meetings and/or conference calls
- Manage domestic and international business travel planning, including booking flights, hotels, car rentals, conference registrations, etc.
- Track project budgets, grant income, and spending; process and file monthly employee expense reports
- Interface with consultants and vendors; work with NRDC’s Corporate Counsel and Accounting departments to process vendor payments
- Draft, edit, review and finalize comment letters, blog posts, reports, publications, fundraising proposals, etc.
- Format, file, and serve legal documents in state and federal courts
- Respond to general inquiries from NRDC members and press
- Provide general administrative support such as paper and electronic filing, copying, typing, faxing, ordering supplies, answering phones, handling incoming and outgoing mail, and other duties as assigned
- Liaise with other NRDC departments (e.g. IT, HR, Finance/Accounting, Development) as needed to solve any issues that may arise
- Provide coverage for other Program Assistants and Facilities staff and cover the front desk, as requested
- 1-2 years previous administrative or professional experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to set priorities, multi-task, follow institutional procedures, and perform undirected work with meticulous attention to detail
- Must possess a high degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Ability to work accurately and with composure under pressure
- Willingness to be available for occasional overtime work or evening community meetings
- Interest in environmental issues or social justice advocacy a plus
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com