EDF’s Legal and Regulatory team is at the forefront of battling the current assault on our nation’s climate, clean air and public health protections. The team incorporates legal and policy expertise with rigorous technical and economic analysis to protect, defend, and secure policy change at the state and federal level to curb climate and air pollution and improve public health, often involving litigation and regulatory efforts as well as strategic partnerships. The team also supports EDF’s organization-wide legal advocacy.
For this high-performing team of attorneys and policy experts, the Manager, Operations, Legal & Regulatory team will build and sustain the structures in place for success by ensuring priorities are clearly articulated and project plans are in place, warning of potential hazards, and shepherding resources. She/he will build and maintain a deep understanding of the team’s work to communicate about it for fundraising and internal management purposes. The Manager, Operations will serve as a trusted advisor to the General Counsel and is a key member of the overall Climate & Energy Operations team. The position reports to the Senior Director of Operations for Climate & Energy.
- Helps ensure the team is on sound financial footing through a thorough understanding of revenue sources and understanding of variances, and recommends appropriate corrective measures as necessary
- Ensures regular and accurate budget analyses and updates are available to team management in coordination with program finance staff, enabling the team to align overall priorities and project plans with available resources.
- Manages the team’s annual budget development process, serving as the key liaison among program finance, fundraising staff and team management. .
- Promotes a culture and structure that fosters communication, collaboration, teamwork, and trust, including by facilitating team retreats and meetings;
- As the primary point of contact with EDF’s fundraising team, ensures alignment on donor engagement strategies, proposal plans and other strategic donor communications.
- Facilitates discussions to mobilize fundraising activities towards the team’s priorities.
- Manages the timely completion of compelling fundraising proposals and reports in partnership with program support staff.
- Communicates the team's victories—and setbacks—in a compelling way to donor and other external and internal audiences.
- Facilitates the formation and maintenance of compelling and consistent aspirational plans.
- Contributes to the effective operations at a high impact level by facilitating and organizing strategic planning activities.
- Develops rigorous project plans in partnership with team leads.
- Tracks and evaluates progress against team goals, making sure any corrective steps are taken.
- Facilitates transparent communication within the team and across the organization.
- Contributes to the prioritization of projects and their goals, and keeps relevant stakeholders apprised of progress.
- Supports an effective program for vibrant professional growth and development across the team in partnership with program leadership and human resources staff.
- Designs and manages special projects as assigned.
We are seeking candidates who have a history of managing projects or programs successfully even in the face of obstacles and a demonstrated ability to manage budgets and analyze them for the big picture (in a non-profit setting preferred). Candidates must also have the flexibility and responsiveness to prioritize and execute a heavy workload. You should also have:
- Exceptional personal organization and attention to detail;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to persuade;
- A track record of managing multiple projects concurrently, both independently and as a member of teams, in a dynamic and creative environment;
- Strong financial and budget acumen and analytical skills with an ability to present budget and financial issues in a clear, concise, rigorous and audience-appropriate way;
- Experience handling sensitive and confidential information;
- A broad understanding of climate and energy issues preferred; and
- Bachelor’s degree and at least six years of related experience, or advanced degree (business, policy or other relevant field preferred) with at least four years’ related experience.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com