Advise staff on all agency legal matters from uncomplicated to complex, related to the remediation of hazardous substances and underground storage tanks within the Bureau of Environmental Remediation and related to collections of past due penalties and monies owed to the agency and bankruptcies that involve environmental claims made by the agency. Interface with other government entities having jurisdiction in these matters and other persons outside the agency including attorneys, investigators, witnesses and technical consultants.
Participates in case negotiations, represents the agency in administrative and judicial hearings, including appellate courts. Works with considerable independence in performing all legal work related to assignments in an agency having legal issues of moderate to high complexity. Draft and review administrative and legal documents including contracts, agreements, legal memoranda, and all documents supporting litigation with respect to KDHE divisions and offices.
A complete position description can be emailed upon request.
Certificate of admission to the Bar of the Supreme Court of Kansas or temporary permit to practice law issued by the Supreme Court of Kansas at the time of hire.
Necessary Special Requirements:
Admission to the Kansas Bar; registration with the Kansas Supreme Court and admission to the United States District Court for the District of Kansas. License to practice Law in Kansas
• J.D. Degree from Accredited school of law
• One year of experience practicing law as a licensed attorney.
• Considerable (3 years) progressively responsible experience in professional legal work.
• Knowledge of state and federal laws, particularly in regard to general administrative and regulatory functions of state government.
• Ability to analyze, appraise and organize facts, evidence, and precedents concerning cases and to present such materials in clear and logical form for oral or written presentation, such as briefs, opinions, orders or decisions.
• Ability to analyze legal documents and instruments.
• Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
• Proofreading, editing, attention to detail
Applications accepted through: May 26, 2017
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com